Railroad Forums 

• White Mountain Central Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#721689  by cogger

The White Mountains lost a great innovator and promoter late last week with the passing of Ed Clark, one of the founders of the White Mtn Central RR at Clark's Trading Post. I know many of you here reading knew him and will miss him. Ijust though I'd pass the work along out of respect for an amazing man. Here is a link to an article in the Manchester Union Leader The Big Man of the Mountains

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... 8b9fc8a158
 #722076  by toolmaker

I am amazed at what this man accomplished in his time. I didn't know his activities with railroading extended well above the Notch until I read it in the paper.
 #757332  by cogger

Alas, another legend gone. Imagine the disappointment this spring when the bears awaken from hibernation.
 #758437  by CVRA7

May the friends of Murray be comforted by this quote of his, which was passed along by his daughter Maureen. In a recent video, Murray said there would come a day when people would read of his passing. His advice was "Don't be sorry or sad because I did everything in life I wanted to do."
Although I didn't know him I sure knew who he was from my numerous visits to the Trading Post. I'll always remember the last time I saw him - he was cleaning up under the bear show grand stands.
 #1016945  by p42thedowneaster

Hello everyone,
I am curious...Does anyone know the status of Heisler #4? I had heard that the boiler had been sent over to Boothbay for stay bolts, with the chance of it returning last season. Since they are putting money in to restore her, does this suggest a plan to use her more often? I'm wondering if her early semi- retirement was less to do with traction and more to do with limiting the pressure of the boiler.

Also, there is very little said about Shay #6. Is this locomotive a good candidate for restoration? The WMCRR page says she spent her time as a switcher in Lincoln, rather than as a mountain climbing logger. Despite what I would have thought to have been an easier life, she seems to be pretty rough looking, almost as if it was hit hard on the front end (worthy of being parked along side Tuttle's Rustic House).
 #1019346  by #7470

hey everyone. I am trying to find out the whistle on Clarks #5 2-4-2 engine. It can be heard twice in this video at 6:30 and also at 7:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQh8TeGT3MU. Can anyone identify the whistle?

I know that the climax and the heisler both have Canadian National 4-chimes which sound great. #5's whistle sounds a bit different and looks to me to be a six chime or maybe a long bell 4? Here is a link that shows a close up. http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... %20Central
 #1019686  by Trainlover479

p42thedowneaster wrote:Hello everyone,
I am curious...Does anyone know the status of Heisler #4?
Yes, i heard it was completed in the fall and had a test run before it was tucked away, lets hope she doesnt break when its time for railroad days 2012..

p42thedowneaster wrote: Also, there is very little said about Shay #6.
Accually its Woodstock Lumber Co. Shay #5, and yes i think it would be a good canidate for a restoration, its a powerful locomotive so i think they should consider the restoration.
 #1019718  by BayColony1706

In regards to Woodstock Lumber Shay 5: On a trip up there afew years back, I asked engineer Leon Noel if he thought it would be restored. From what he said, East Branch and Lincoln ran that poor thing into the ground in the last years of service. WMCRR has deemed her too expensive to restore to operation. One can hope for a cosmetic rehab, but that's about it.
 #1019727  by #7470

According to the White Mountain Central Railroad's Facebook page, the heisler is in need of a new boiler and will not be operating this season. Here is a reply in regards to it operating in the 2012 season. "The Heisler #4 is in need of a new boiler. It will not be in use this season. The Climax #6 however will be!"

In regards to the shay, "The Shay would need a complete restoration, probably a new boiler, and everything mechanically that goes along with it. It is completly worn out. At the present time there are no plans for this very, very expensive restoration. However, It would certainly have enough power to push the excursion cars."
 #1020432  by Trainlover479

strange....i was told by a good friend that it was operational as of before they closed up for the winter, but hey that person moderating the WMCRR Page could be wrong...
 #1020496  by nicksutera

I was up there recently and the Heisler is still in pieces. I believe the boiler is still in Boothbay.

They could have gotten the Heisler mixed up with the Climax, which was put back in service in August following the repair of the broken crankshaft and main drive gears. A lot of people tend to mix up the types of geared locomotives in passing, even if they really do know one from the other.
 #1033577  by p42thedowneaster

I'm building a ls Climax in 1:20.3 scale. Would anyone happen to have the basic dimesions of the frame (L&w)....and also the diameter of the boiler at the smokebox and near the firebox. Rough approximations are fine.... I have plans for a 50 ton class B, but I want to make it closer in size to Clark's (30tons?) to better match my Shay. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If this goes well...I hope to build heisler too!