Railroad Forums 

• White Gondolas?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1040007  by Autoblock

I was wondering if anyone knows the contents of a few gondolas that i have spotted on the southern tier east. They either have a white cover on them or it is a whole container that seats in the gondola. It is usually dark when the trains so through so it is hard to tell. Hated to start another thread for one question but any responses would be greatly appreciated!
 #1040025  by waldwickrailfan

Autoblock wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows the contents of a few gondolas that i have spotted on the southern tier east. They either have a white cover on them or it is a whole container that seats in the gondola. It is usually dark when the trains so through so it is hard to tell. Hated to start another thread for one question but any responses would be greatly appreciated!
I know some of them are contaminated soil from either Rochelle Park or Maywood.
 #1040236  by Steve F45

The ones with tops are loaded down in North Bergen at the transload facility on westside ave. There are hundreds of those covers stacked up. The Maywood/Rochelle Park site looks to still use tarps to cover the dirt.