Railroad Forums 

• Whippany -South Jefferson Road team track project

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#606818  by baretables

Railroad Construction has a sizable amount of equipment at the South Jefferson Road team track area. Does anyone have information about this project?

In the team track area there is what appears to be a foundation form adjacent to the siding.

East of the South Jefferson Road grade crossing both sides of the right of way have been cleared and graded(with a wider cut on the south side).
 #607261  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Any equipment or cars still stored in the yard there? I would suspect they could be adding a building on site or a freight platform for loading on the team siding.

The dreaded(according to NIMBYS) C&D maybe??
 #607328  by baretables

The only equipment i saw stored there is the M&E crane. Everything else has been relocated. The "channel lumber" siding (was this the Stony Brook branch) is filled with ex amtrak bag cars.

I'm not sure about C&D, although it's a great idea. I can't imagine M&E would start C&D transload without township of Hanover approval). I can only assume that if there were any such negotiations, there would have been press. I believe transfer facilities can now be regulated, in some form, since legislation was passed arising out of the NYSW's operations in bergen county.

Some of you may recall there was an uproar in Roxbury when M&E sought to transload in Kenvil (IIRC), a few years ago.
 #607707  by RS115

They cleared out everything but the crane a couple of days before all the equipment started arriving. I haven't figured out what they're doing either. I can't believe it would be C&D though. Relations with the township are tenous at best (remember this is also the site of the diesel fuel spill when the engines were being scrapped here). I'm even more curious about the construction on the other side of Jefferson Road along the RR and power line right of way. Thought initially it might be related to the 'new' taller towers power line that's beenin the news but I don't think that's progressed far enough.
 #607824  by R36 Combine Coach

baretables wrote:I'm not sure about C&D, although it's a great idea. I can't imagine M&E would start C&D transload without township of Hanover approval). I can only assume that if there were any such negotiations, there would have been press. I believe transfer facilities can now be regulated, in some form, since legislation was passed arising out of the NYSW's operations in bergen county.

Some of you may recall there was an uproar in Roxbury when M&E sought to transload in Kenvil (IIRC), a few years ago.
The Roxbury C&D transfer station, I recall was to send waste via rail to Ohio landfills, but was blocked after controversy (2002). If it isn't C&D, could it be a local freight station project (team siding), simliar to the Kenvil freight station off US Route 46 on the High Bridge Branch? Morris County DOT had funded the Kenvil project and the agency has been promoting rail freight, with local freight stations for community use (public team sidings) part of its plan.
 #607869  by blockline4180

I remember an article written about 4-5 years ago that stated M&E was granted to operate a C&D operation on the old Standard/Flintkote/Arzee siding. I think your right in that in the article they(Hanover Twp.) denyed an application for M&E to use the South Jefferson team track.
 #609742  by Angus202

RRC had concrete forms setup and re-bar installed to pour a pad between the team track and stub track at S. Jefferson Rd. this week. From the looks of the grading work, the former stub will become the team track, and the passing siding will become the lead to whatever is happening east of the crossing, traveling parallel but grade separated from the main.
 #609750  by blockline4180

Angus202 wrote:RRC had concrete forms setup and re-bar installed to pour a pad between the team track and stub track at S. Jefferson Rd. this week. From the looks of the grading work, the former stub will become the team track, and the passing siding will become the lead to whatever is happening east of the crossing, traveling parallel but grade separated from the main.

Very very interesting~!
 #610892  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I stopped by and they are building a freight platform with a full team siding. This looks great-another new local freight station and it will appear to be much like the one on the High Bridge Branch in Kenvil.

I'm not too familier with the freight station at Kenvil. When completed, would this freight platform in Cedar Knolls unload box cars or would it be a transload facility for covered hoppers?? What do they get in Kenvil??

Thanks in advance!
 #617135  by RS115

Sorry Blockline - read it but it didn't sink in at the time. Kenvil receives predominantly boxcars at the actual team track/platform site. I've also seen center beam flatcars filled with lumber spotted just west of Berkshire Valley Road (along the driveway to the team track) and unloaded there by Wickes Lumber. Now that Wickes' location has been sold to another outfit (seems local 3 locations - can't think of the name) I don't know if that practice will continue. There seems to be some activity on the other side of BV Road where they used to unload the covered hoppers that stopped probably 2 years ago. There's a new gate across the access and seemingly new grading but can't tell what's happening.

At S. Jefferson road crews worked pretty steadily until this week. Monday called acount of weather I assume and now a holiday break for the Railroad Construction guys.

A