Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#309697  by George L.

As far as the two stations I use the most - Montreal and Toronto - I find the interiors to be entirely pleasing, welcoming, easy to navigate, etc (especially after dealing with NYC's messy messy Pennsylvania Station).

I know they're currently doing renovations in Toronto's Union Station, but I'm curious as to how often the VIA stations are renovated in Canada.

But most interestingly, which stations do other railfans think need a facelift? Or improvement work?

#309802  by marquisofmississauga

Windsor, Ont., is the station that first comes to mind. It is badly in need of a renovation, especially when compared to others on the line, such as Brantford, Woodstock and the fairly new London station.

#310021  by NS VIA FAN

I believe VIA has bigger plans for Windsor and doesn’t want to waste money on renovations at the present location. A new station is proposed as part of the Windsor Gateway project that would see a station located so it would have direct access to the rail tunnel and an eventual link-up with Amtrak in Detroit.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/documents/Win ... at_Now.pdf

#324811  by mrobicha

But most interestingly, which stations do other railfans think need a facelift? Or improvement work?
I have a few train stations pictures online at: http://trains.fotopic.net/c68308.html

Most of them are still in use by VIA today, and I would say that they are all in good shape, in particular those along the Matapedia - Gaspé route.

Regards,

Michel.

#325070  by Ken V

Bienvenue Michel. That's a very interesting collection of train station photo's you've got.
 #325073  by jp1822

Personally, I'd like to see some of the train stations that VIA's Canadian has a service stop restored or in better shape. One that immediately comes to mind is Sioux Lookout. Train often arrives early to this station westbound or eastbound. Capreol, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Jasper are in pretty good shape, but Sioux Lookout just has a trailer. Could be an interesting station if the original is restored.

#325217  by marquisofmississauga

A few years ago it looked like restoration of the Sioux Lookout station was imminent. There were notices posted on the dilapidated station indicating that the town was involved in a plan to turn the building into a hotel and tourist information centre. I was through there on the Canadian a few months ago and noticed nothing has been done to the station and, sadly, the notices were no longer posted.
 #562355  by Sylvain727

:-D Cornwall's Via Rail Canada station must be completely renovated in the province of Ontario between Montreal and Toronto close to the provinces of Quebec/Ontario border.

And then the CN' s Coteau Station at the CN yard. Brockville's Via Rail Station too.
Quebec City (Ste-Foy) Via Rail Station must be supposely completely renovated and her platforms goes to be stretch out and widening.

And the Dorval's Via Rail Canada station must be demolished sooner to be rebuild on the Pierre-Eliott Trudeau International Airport terminal because
the Canadian Federal Government and the Quebec Provincial Government plans to built a rail link from the Canadian National/Canadian Pacific principal railroads lines
to the Montreal's International Airport terminal to serve passengers to disembark Via Rail Canada trains to board the planes and the passengers which disembark planes could take the Via Rail Canada trains to Downtown Montreal,Ottawa,Kingston and Toronto.

Raily Yours.

Sylvain
 #563858  by chriskay

Re the move of the station closer to the airport... That makes sense why nothing is really being done to spruce up the Dorval station. Yes, it received Renaissance funds and was one of the first stations to be reno'ed under that project, but it's already looking quite tired and worn. I guess that's expected considering it's one of the busiest stations in the system.