Railroad Forums 

• Which rail yard was moved in 1950 for Turnpike Construction?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1419522  by bellstbarn

YouTube has a 22-minute boastful video on the construction of the NJ Turnpike in the early 1950's. At 01:21 of the segment (that is, in the second minute) there is a remark that an entire railroad yard had to be moved to make room for the turnpike. Where was that done? Was it a CNJ Yard near Elizabeth? Many thanks.
Link to video: https://youtu.be/hSRhEJc3GHw
 #1419575  by CJPat

Thanks for posting that video. I found it fascinating to watch

Although I can't really answer you question with surety, I went into Historicaerials.com and looked at the 1947 image of the Bayway refinery immediately north of where the Linden Cogen plant is now. On the west side of the NJTurnpike and north of the plant road that runs all the way to the water, there appears to have been a sizeable holding yard for tank cars for the refinery. Back in the day, I don't if the B&O serviced the yard off the SIRT line that junctioned with the CNJ in Cranford or the CNJ serviced it off their own line on the east side of the NJTurnpike.

I used to be able to post a link to the image, but I am not finding the URL generator button on their website anymore.