Railroad Forums 

• Which branch on the Island is NYA's best for business?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#140104  by b&p rupture

BMT wrote:What? The 'illustrious' Bushwick Branch doesn't even get a mention here? For shame.
Legio X wrote:Just Nassau and Suffolk County trackage is covered by this topic.
How do you conclude that from the subject "Which branch on the Island is NYA's best for business?"

Last I checked, BKLYN and QNS are on Long Island, and in fact are each served by the LIRR and NYA. Or are you generalizing the Island to only include the suburbs? (The subject of the post itself does not)

#140368  by One of One-Sixty

I'm guessing because, even though Queens and Brooklyn is on Long Island it is at the same time not considered Long Island but Queens and Brooklyn as they are actually apart of NYC so to speak.

#140540  by alcoc420

No question that Brooklyn and Queens are as much as a part of LI as are Nassau and Suffolk, but Legio said "OUT on Long Island." (Emphasis added.) I think to most people that implies east of NYC.

#143002  by thrdkilr

Back in the 60's, the Mitchell Field (old central) secondary used to have a daily freight of 20 to 40 cars. The main customers were the A&P warehouse and Newsday. I understand Newsday moved, not sure what happened to the A&P. Do they still receive newsprint wherever Newsday is now located? Do any of the supermarket have warehouses receiving rail shipments?

#143105  by Legio X

In Scala's Diesels of the Sunrise Trail there is a picture of 158 pulling a long train of boxcars and reefers westbound across Clinton Rd. in Garden City, so I know where you're coming from when talking about long trains on that line. Look at it now....I'm sure NYA could've made it look like the '60's-'70's-'80's again on there if they had'nt been cock-blocked by the G.C. Nimby's.....and NO, Jared, leave it at that.

Best memory from Garden City Yard: During a snowstorm back in the mid-'80's, Alco C420 228 laying over in the yard with a long cut of PC gondolas, El Rexene covered hoppers and assorted reefers- Great Northern(!), UP, CNW, Conrail and a few others. Wish I had some pictures....