Railroad Forums 

• Where is MP36 on CSX between Buffalo and Erie?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1468799  by MACTRAXX

NYD: Milepost 36 would be 36 miles west of Buffalo. The stone former NYC milepost would read
"B 36". I recall that this distance on the former NYC was measured from Central Terminal.

An employee timetable would show where locations are and help find where mile 36 is -
which I think would be someplace near the Erie and Chautauqua County line.

The entire Chicago Line has mileage from Buffalo west towards Chicago. It is about 500 miles
between Buffalo and Chicago overall and was measured by NYC to LaSalle Street Station.

MACTRAXX
 #1468809  by sd80mac

nydepot wrote:Where is MP36 on CSX between Buffalo and Erie? Thanks.
Lets see...

Brocton is CP 49, (csx QD 49)
Dunkirk is CP 42 (QD 42)
Silver Creek is MP 32 (QD 32)

MP 36 is few miles north of yard in Dunkirk. Probably where the signals are or close to signals.
Last edited by sd80mac on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1468810  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote:Bayview Rd in Hamburg is MP 532, so MP 36 is nowhere near Buffalo.

I believe that is OLD milepost. that's 532 miles to Chicago. they changed it years ago (don't know who changed NYC, PC or CR). CP draw is MP2, or close to that. CP 5 is Seneca yard

Lake ave is MP 6.32

And bayview crossing is MP 8 (QD8)

http://www.rochester-railfan.net/images ... ine492.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1468812  by sd80mac

nydepot wrote:Where is MP36 on CSX between Buffalo and Erie? Thanks.

If you go on this website and scroll down to 9th page. you will see where MP 36 is. Its south of Waite Rd which had the bridge, if I remember right, wooden bridge, removed sometime in late 95's

http://www.rochester-railfan.net/images ... 0Chart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be somewhere near 42°31'3.84"N 79°15'24.00"W and is not accessible.

What's up with MP 36?
 #1468814  by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Bayview Rd in Hamburg is MP 532, so MP 36 is nowhere near Buffalo.

I believe that is OLD milepost. that's 532 miles to Chicago. they changed it years ago (don't know who changed NYC, PC or CR). CP draw is MP2, or close to that. CP 5 is Seneca yard

Lake ave is MP 6.32

And bayview crossing is MP 8 (QD8)

http://www.rochester-railfan.net/images ... ine492.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I wasn't aware of the change. I'm surprised that old milepost is in such good condition. I had assumed CSX was maintaining it, but we all know what happens when someone assumes... ;)
 #1468881  by ctclark1

Slightly unrelated to MP36, but in your discussions on where the miles reset in Buffalo, don't forget too that the Central's line in Buffalo is actually what Conrail referred to as the Compromise branch (CP 437 west towards Exchange, paralleling the current Niagara branch and then south across NYC's bridge at CP1; Last I knew CSX referred to this simply as "Track 3" of the main line.) not what is now the mainline which leaves 437 at a more southerly direction and crosses BCK's bridge at DRAW and meets back with the old NYC main at CP2. So mileposts would be based off of that path not the current mainline.

And yes, as was mentioned, NYCentral mileage increased from NYCity to Buffalo, then reset at CP49A (the western CP of Buffalo Central) and increased from 0 towards Chicago. I had never heard of the reverse mileage (increasing from Chicago to Buffalo). (See Page 7 of the Penn Central Track Chart)
 #1468889  by charlie6017

Next time anyone goes down to Bayview, take a look at the milepost and you'll see it's 532 miles
to Chicago -- then take a look at the OTHER side and you'll see a "B" with the number 8 below it. :-D

Charlie
 #1468897  by NYCRRson

One interesting thing to note on the track chart provided by ctclark1 is "Byron Hill", just west of South Byron NY. Note the > 0.8 grade, steepest grade on the mainline of the Water Level Route.... There was (going way way back before the 1940's) a helper station there where engines were added to westbound freight trains to get them up the hill. There were some sidings and a signal station at S. Byron to park the helper engines.

One engineer with modern diesels and an empty coal train stalled his train going up that grade on account of fast steady eastbound winds. The winds pushed against all of the end sheets of the hopper cars and added enough drag to slow things down to stalling speed. That was in the 90's (1990's not 1890's), the dispatchers in Florida did not believe the engineer when he told them he could not get an empty coal train up the hill.

Yes indeed, helper engines used to get trains up the hills on the Water Level Route, NYC did not mention that fact much in their advertising. They also used helpers to get the big heavy westbound passenger trains up the hill at West Albany. One story says a 0-8-0 switcher was on the rear end of the Century (just behind the open platform of the observation car) pushing it up W. Albany Hill and the road loco engineer forgot to give some slack so the helper could "cut off" at the top of the hill and the poor 0-8-0 was dragged along for the ride doing 60 mph for a while before they could uncouple. Poor 0-8-0 went back to the shops for a full rebuild after that, and the helper engineer bought some new overalls...

Cheers, Kevin.
 #1468900  by ctclark1

While you are not wrong on Bayview, this does not seem to follow all the way. Moving further south (TT west) I found another road where the milepost can be clearly seen, Matthews Rd in Portland at MP50 shows "B 50". Not trying to argue, just noticing. I'm wondering if Bayview is unique and shows the distance to Chicago because of its proximity to the division line at MP8.2? (This was a division line in the PC days as well, and I'm assuming NYC days...)

BTW, to answer the original question of this thread, MP36 is here give or take a few hundred feet. (I know it was already kinda answered, but a map helps visualize it, to me...)