Railroad Forums 

• Where Did Everyone Go?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #478571  by SwingMan

Last year, this forum was building up steam. Post after post. But now its bare. Only a few stone trains were covered, and less freight sightings. What happened?

lirr415-Peter

#478593  by Sir Ray

"Last year, this forum was building up steam."

You sure about that? - I've always found this forum seems to cycle, with posts coming in spurts (oh, behave) and then fallow time of sporadic posts (oftentimes from our classic Greek & Roman army allies).
I do remember reading that lots of the ol' Skool NY&A guys drifted off, I guess at first to competing forums (thelirr.com, anyone - how long has that been gone anyway?), and then...well heck, I don't know.

(insert 'Anyone? Bueller?' joke here)

#478647  by Nova55

Some people do have lives.

#478739  by BMT

I'm still around...but lurking most of the time. Since I live in Kings County and not Suffolk alot of the threads of late I really can't comment on since going that far east is outta my 'league'. If topics are realted to Nassau and things west of say.... Plainview, me thinks I can git into the subject matter. :wink:

#478741  by BMT

Urr...I know....Plainview IS in Suffolk... :wink:

So, I correct myself....west of Medford. :P

#478763  by Johnny F

You were right the first time, Plainview is in Nassau

#478770  by John 61

I haven't posted as much. My company moved to Nesconset from Smithtown. The old Smithtown location bordered the tracks so I posted more since I saw the LIRR every workday.

#478788  by Scrap em Again

We are all just tired..........

#479176  by Spartan Phalanx

Has everyone moved on to a different NYA discussion forum?

#479287  by tushykushy

I lurk. Some of my buddies who used to work for the Green Monster have since moved onto different jobs and with the current hours I work, rotating days off, and life in general I haven't really been in touch as much. I'll occasionally catch the freight going to work in the middle of the night.

Gone are the days of stalking the RS-80. I'll occasionally chase it a night here or there but for the most part it's been very routine. Whenever I see a rare move or an interesting run I'll make sure to document it.

#479441  by mainline

Suffolk County is dead. No Port Jefferson runs. The Montauk is once in awhile. Brdigehampton on weekends? Eastport Feeds and Islip Team Track. The RS 60 is stuck at Pine Aire and some trips out east and to the pond. The RS 50 usually goes east at night.

#479532  by Spartan Phalanx

No NYA service east of Greenlawn is a done-deal now? As for the mainline, when I pass over Pine Aire on the Sagtikos Pkwy., there are usually huge cuts of cars, sometimes reaching out past the west side of the parkway overpass. I'd say the mainline in Suffolk County is anything but dead.

How about east of Yaphank? I seem to recall a post that NYA was ending service to Southold. Is that true?

#479596  by tushykushy

I believe as far east they now go is Riverhead to service Paraco Gas. Southhold is nixed.

#479825  by Spartan Phalanx

You would think they would trying to keep customers and bring new ones on-line. Short-sighted, if you ask me. No wonder potential shippers/receivers are still wary of signing on with rail, ten+ years after the LIRR turned freight service over to NYA.

#480134  by mainline

Suffolk County is dead for all you train-chasers. I guess I should have worded differently.