Railroad Forums 

• When was the Rossford Yard "shrunk?"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#734686  by Northwest727

Hi,

Driving along I-75 often in the Toledo, OH, area, I noticed the Rossford Yard, formerly a B&O yard, which seemed to have a lot of "cleared out land" for such a small yard.

Looking on satellite imagery (like Google earth), this yard looks like it was once huge.

In fact, this yard no longer connects to anything on it east side...all of its connections have been removed. So it leads me to believe, that CSX has simply shrunk the size of the yard. When did this happen?
 #790845  by MSchwiebert

Most of the reductions took place with the business downturns of the early 1980's. With the reduction of business, Chessie was able to consolidate all operations at Walbridge yard. Chessie also looked at taking a more drastic step, that being the abandonment of the B&O from north of Deshler to Perrysburg. They did close the B&O to through traffic for a period in the early 1980's but reopened the route around 1986 or so (only to close it again from 1990 to 1997 before opening it up again in preparation for the traffic changes associated with the Conrail split - and it remains in use to this day).