Railroad Forums 

• When was LVRR main ripped out?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#212287  by carajul

When was the LVRR mainline north of Allentown to Leighton ripped out? I thought it was 1984 but I found this pic on the BC web site dated 1988:
http://www.thebluecomet.com/lvWestCatasaqua1988.jpg

Obviously it was still there. What a sad sight too. The prestine 4 track LVRR main reduced to this. As of 2006 nothing left but grass and some ballast. The signals are still there (top ones). NS won't let museums have them either. Even the lenses are still in tact. I think this area is suppose to be a rail trail.

#212442  by glennk419

There is a very good reason that those signals still stand in all their glory and it's not due to NS' stinginess. Check out this thread http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19167

Edit: this picture is obviously from West Catasaqua. Any idea then why they would still be there? Is it a reason similar to the Lehighton interlocking scenario.
Last edited by glennk419 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #212455  by TB Diamond

Scrapping of the old Lehigh Valley Railroad MT west of Allentown to Lehighton began on 17 November 1986. The rail train departed Catasauqua Jct. that day and operated west to Bowmanstown and began to pull up rail eastward. On 17 December it had reached Treichler. Rail was pulled up as far east as Fullerton station. The rail train then operated west to Lehighton and shoved east down the old MT to Bowmanstown. Rail was then pulled up west to Lehighton. The reason that the rail was pulled up in two sections was that Penn Dot had constructed a new Rt. 895 highway bridge across the Lehigh River at Bowmanstown. During the construction, 500' of the old LVRR MT had been removed. This information is from the engineer of the scrap train mentioned above.

#212477  by carajul

Those are NOT the signals at Lehighton. That link on the BC web site shows the signals at Catasaqua, PA along the LV main.

I have a pic of this same location taken in the 1940s and it is a MASSIVE yard. By the early 1960s it was defunct, 1961 the LNE diamonds removed by 1970s only 2 LVRR main tracks remained.

This is where the LV and RDG interchanged (the RDG's C&F branch). Also in the pic top left is where the LV line to Biery Yard swung off.