Railroad Forums 

• When was B&O train order office torn down in Salamanca?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1465001  by erie2937

I have a very old postcard that shows this building in use as the passenger station, minus the tower, and what later became the passenger station identified as the dispatchers' office, minus the awning construction that was added when it became the passenger station. The older passenger station was a bit north/east of the large brick building near the switch for the branch line that went to downtown Salamanca. I am no expert. Stan Carlson at the Salamanca Rail Museum is the man to ask,\.
 #1465181  by colorado

I was in the building myself around 1978, I know I have B&W negatives somewhere and I believe I shot pictures of the inside, mostly the tower with old wood stairs leading up to it. I believe the building was gone by 1980 as we visited Salamanca a lot back in those days....I knew I wanted to re-visit the building but soon after my visit to the building it was gone. This building was located somewhat in the middle of the East Salamanca yard complex maybe a couple hundred yards north of the Shop buildings.

The shops were mostly abandoned and we got in a few times. There were loads of old file cabinets with car and locomotive lettering drawings and such. It was all old B&O stuff from the fifties and before so we knew it had no current use. We saved LOTS of that stuff from being tossed out, at least a trunk load.
 #1465408  by colorado

This thread got me curious so I looked at Google Sattellite........WOW!!!!!!!

I moved out of WNY almost 25 years ago and I know a lot has changed in time. I was aware the Erie Depot had burned and Fancher had burned but I never thought about looking at Google to see what Salamanca looks like today.....amazing !

We used to go to Salamanca a lot in the late seventies to early eighties to get our picture taking fix. Once Conrail came a lot of the old favorites were gone and the old haunts like Attica Hill and the Lehigh Valley we quit taking pictures for the most part. Back then Salamanca still had the yard, the shop buildings and such, looks like it is only a couple main tracks, the old East Salamanca Depot and weed choked foundations.

I finally got a negative and slide scanner, now it's just finding the time. I think some guys are left in WNY that were on many of those jaunts.....They have lots of slides from the time similar to what I took, Paul M....I think he is still secretary of WNYRHS......he should have a bunch.

Really makes me feel old when I see what has become of places within my lifetime, Salamanca, Sayre, Kinzua Bridge, countless places within Buffalo.