Railroad Forums 

• When did the AT&SF reach Raton Pass?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#432430  by travelrobb

Hi all-

Can anyone here say with authority (and cite an authoritative source) when the Santa Fe began operating over Raton Pass? Was it late 1878, 1879, or 1880? (I've seen all three.) It's for a magazine article.

Also, I know for a time in the 1880s, the AT&SF railway was the AT&SF Railroad. Does anyone know when that was?

Many thanks,

Robb
 #452584  by rhallanger

According to Donald B. Robertson's book, Encylcopedia of Western Railroad History, The Desert States, P. 189, he says that the line was opened from Trinidad, CO - NM state line on 12/7/78. And then they continued south from CO/NM stateline and opened the line to Las Vegas, NM on 07/4/79 (funny how they seemed to always have a major milestone around the 4th of July).

travelrobb wrote:Hi all-

Can anyone here say with authority (and cite an authoritative source) when the Santa Fe began operating over Raton Pass? Was it late 1878, 1879, or 1880? (I've seen all three.) It's for a magazine article.

Also, I know for a time in the 1880s, the AT&SF railway was the AT&SF Railroad. Does anyone know when that was?

Many thanks,

Robb