Railroad Forums 

• Whats allowed/not allowed in the cab?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#366372  by Pj

Interfear with the actual equipment? No.

It more like...

"Was that a yellow signal back there?"

#366415  by powerpro69

I always wonder how many of the CSX crews in Baltimore are packing something, considering they often wait for signals in unpleasent areas.
I think you'll find thats the case in any Big City, I know for sure it is in Houston, crackheads and Gangs all around the two major switching yards and it's quite common for tracks to be blocked with stuff and pins pulled.

#366510  by conrail_engineer

gprimr1 wrote:I always wonder how many of the CSX crews in Baltimore are packing something, considering they often wait for signals in unpleasent areas.
None that I know of.

When I was young and dumb and didn't know any more than some banned posters here :-D an old-head conductor took me aside, when I was about to walk my train through "The Bottoms" in Columbus. He jammed three fusees into my hand.

"Take these," he said. "Those (expletive)s aren't afraid of guns or knives, but they'll run like a raped ape from fire."

I've never had to try it; but I'd bet he's right. It's safer, legally, anyways...
 #366567  by DrawbarFlats

Robert Paniagua wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:Portable electronic items in use in cabs are forbidden. One exception
are cell phones. They can be used by the engineer provided the
train is stopped, the call is for RR use only, and the conductor has
been briefed that the phone will be used in accordance with RR duties.
(Amtrak Gen. Road Foreman Notice)

Boom Boxes, Xm Radio? Cut me a break!
Wow, do they interfere with navigation of the engine? Then they shouldn't be banned, since a locomotiva cab is not the ssame as an aircraft cockpit, and cell hpones should be allowed 24/7/365 in case a crew memeber has to call home in an emergency.
The railroad I work for does allow cell phones on duty provided that we are stopped or on clear signals.
Cell phones are a vital tool in the modern era of railroading and do provide a means of contact for an emergency of any sorts including family. I have no problem with that.

True, we are not navigating an airplane but IMO we are ''navigating'' a train via signal indications. We are constantly crossing from one track to another, stopping, flagging signals, restricted speed, getting around passenger trains etc.. A missed signal can have catastrophic consequences.
I have seen first hand the results of a missed signal by two former co-workers. They blew a red block at 50 mph, put the train into emergency, and hit a commuter train at 20-25 mph, killing two on scene and a third who later died of his injuries. Many others were seriously injured. The train had over 150 passengers.

I'm not trying to sound or be a hard a-- but I expect my conductor to do his/her job just as I did when I was a conductor. For me nothing is more frustrating than being dead tired at three in the morning, spashing cold water on my face, proceeding at restricted speed in the fog looking for the first sign of FRED while my cond'r is sound asleep or watching movies on his/her laptop. I let it happen once when I first became an engineer but once was enough. Not only did it almost cost me my job but it almost cost me my life.

Google search Placentia Train Wreck.

#366580  by DrawbarFlats

Pj wrote:
It more like...

"Was that a yellow signal back there?"

My thoughts exactly.:-)

#366670  by CSX-COAL HAULER

conrail_engineer wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:I always wonder how many of the CSX crews in Baltimore are packing something, considering they often wait for signals in unpleasent areas.
None that I know of..

You got to be kidding right? You know nobody? Where I work at it's probably 40% who pack and 60% who don't!

Would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by 6---------------??? :P :P

#366736  by conrail_engineer

CSX-COAL HAULER wrote:
conrail_engineer wrote:
None that I know of..

You got to be kidding right? You know nobody? Where I work at it's probably 40% who pack and 60% who don't!
No, serious. And pretty sure I'm right.

Guys have shared a lot of info with me, including the existance of their booze stash, their dope purses, and other contraband...but only one guy did I even suspect might be carrying (he's retired now). We've had guys robbed and even shot, but never busted for packing or scared that they drew on anyone.

Maybe I'm not representative. The pools I sometimes work either go into or work out of New York State, where they're just NUTS about firearms.

#367168  by slchub

Just as UPRR Engineer stated, use but don't get caught. I've seen many set ups with the Sirius boomboxes ( I had one as well but it is just too much to carry along with the 30 pounds of crap in my two grips) etc. I've not seen hot plates as most guys use either the sidewall heaters or the engine exhaust manifold for heating/cooking.

Now the issue with DVD/Laptop use. We have had plenty of guys in SLC and Vegas get a talking to about using the laptop/dvd player or getting call from the Manager while on the train and they are running. You can deff. tell if they are being used at night as the whole cab lights up in a nice moon light type glow, and now with the camera's in the cabs, the reflection of what you are doing is recorded as well at night. Hard to believe but take a look at the glass at night when the cab light is on. An almost mirror image of what you are doing on that glass. A few guys have been busted this way. Cell phone is a no-no while you are running. OKay when stopped.

Now think about this. Say your a Hogger or Conductor and a terrible incident happens. You can bet your cell phone records will be brought into court for review. Were you talking to Mom about whats for supper 4 minutes before you ran the block or ran into a train in dark territory? It has happened in the past for example with the BNSF trains in Texas where the Hogger was on the phone prior to the head on collision. Cell phone use contributed to this incident per the NTSB.

Goto to this link and search for "cell phone" and you will get 36 instances. You can read how their use contributed to this incident.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2006/RAR0602.pdf

I'm not one to rain on any one's parade but my experience thus far (not long, only 3 years on the rails so a true FNG) is to leave the phone off until your in the hole or stopped, if your bored, pull out a book or newspaper, something that is not going to really distract you as a dvd or laptop will and be ready for anything. That is why we are doing the job at hand.

#367192  by slchub

FRED is the Rear of train device, the EOT, the device replaced the caboose, the box on the drawbar/knuckle/coupler on the rear of the car with the flashing red light at night. The FRED allows the train to be placed in an emergency braking situation from the head end (locomotive) and also sends data to the locomotive about the amount of trainline air pressure at the rear of the train. You can read more about EOT's at this website:

http://www.switch.com/carborne/digitair6699.pdf

http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=220

Some eot's are air driven meaning they operate by using the air from the trainline to function but most are battery operated.

#367217  by cifn2

lol ok heard of EOT but not FRED, thanks!

(flashing rear-end device)

#367275  by git a holt to it

F.R.E.D- Flashing Rear End Device more affectionatly known as F@#!ing Rear End Device

#367371  by U-Haul

F@#!ing Rear End Device?
You mean little Freddy gone from a flasher to a ------?

#367461  by cifn2

U-Haul wrote:F@#!ing Rear End Device?
You mean little Freddy gone from a flasher to a ------?
ROFL I bet it is