Railroad Forums 

• Whatever happened to BCR's MRS-1's

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#988500  by yellowdog

Was looking for BCR 2090 at Bay Coast's Little Creek terminal on Google satellite but no sign of it.

Was it scrapped? Bought? Donated to a museum?

Also, is #2085 still at Cape Charles?
 #1024728  by Railman1396

They both got cut up last year. One had less than 100 hours on it. I saw the 244 engines cut up into pieces. Shame, 244 parts are getting rare. The one engine in Little Creek was a jump start away from being operational from what I understand.

Better get over there soon, I have heard that all the OTM, brand new 100lb rail, and excess railcars in Cape Charles are being cut up for scrap, apparently the operator needs cash badly. Several of the 1924 short low sided gons are already gone, as is the 150 ton dropwell flat, that only need a new bolster collar. I'd be willing to bet the 2001 gets cut up next if it hasn't already. Just needs a new set of wheels for the missing truck. Oh well.

The line's Edwards motor car is also up for sale at the moment. I heard the other car has already sold.
http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... 16-REDUCED

Only $250,000! Maybe if it sold they would quit cutting up material they needed to RUN A RAILROAD. Sheesh!
 #1024776  by riffian

The right of way is owned by Accomack and Northampton Counties. The railroad operation is leased by them to Richard Foster, a Virginia Beach developer who is developing the Bay Creek golf and tennis resort with attendant luxury homes and hotel. The real estate bubble-burst has apparently affected his other operations. He was highly touted as bringing prosperity to the Cape Charles area and as a savior for the railroad when he leased it. The Eastern Shore of Virginia had long been an economically depressed area and the Eastern Shore Railroad was on its last legs when he arrived on the scene. As late as 1990 the railroad handled 9,000 cars. By 2007 it had dropped to around 2,000 carloads. Not much for a rail line of over 60 miles with an expensive barge operation, to boot.

Do you know what happened to the Bay Creek tourist/dinner train operation? I suppose the sale of the rail car is not a good sign for its continued well being. Many thought that it was a bit isolated from major markets to make a huge splash (not to mention the Bay Creek development, itself).
 #1026889  by riffian

To answer my own question....I called the Bay Creek number on their website, left a message, and they finally called me back. Stated they will start the dinner trains on Memorial Day weekend and run through Christmas. Not sure what equipment to be used if the motor car is for sale. Hopefully this isn't just wishful thinking.....