Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#121139  by TerryC

Forgive me for being nieve, but when talking about Metra's F40 series locomotives please specify. I do not know if you are talking about the F40Cs, the F40PHs, the F40PH-2s or the F40PHM-2s.

keep asking keep learning

#121160  by AmtrakFan

TerryC wrote:Forgive me for being nieve, but when talking about Metra's F40 series locomotives please specify. I do not know if you are talking about the F40Cs, the F40PHs, the F40PH-2s or the F40PHM-2s.

keep asking keep learning
Terry,
Their talking about the F40PH and F40PH-2's.

#121166  by MikeF

TerryC wrote:Forgive me for being nieve, but when talking about Metra's F40 series locomotives please specify. I do not know if you are talking about the F40Cs, the F40PHs, the F40PH-2s or the F40PHM-2s.
When the term "F40" is thrown around here, it typically means the F40PH's and F40PH-2's, and often also includes the F40PHM-2's. In this particular instance, I think the original author was referring to the 28 F40PH's.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard an F40C referred to as an "F40"; usually the shortened term is just "C."

#121234  by AMTK84

I don't think Metra would ever buy F59PHI's, because they have HEP generators in the rear of the units; while Metra wants the HEP provided by the main engine. True you could mess around and make an F59 of some king; although I wouldn't be surprised to see an "F70PHAC", or better yet an "F90PHAC". True, I believe there was a reason (Note: I do not really care what it is) why the SD90MAC isn't still produced; ideally it would be a 6000 HP passenger version of a "big mac" with of corse all the passenger modifications, including HEP provided by the engine. But, then we have the problem of Metra going to 710's. I have 2 ideas about this:

1. Metra orders 215 passenger locomotives from someone, they are built with 645's; and what do you know you have MP36's (ossibly) and there problems all over again. They could also get 645's and not attempt to raise the horsepower, leeve it at 3200 HP.
2. Metra buys locomotives with 710's; and when each MP36 is overhalled replace its engine with a 710.

Now on the subject of dreaming, I'd like to see crashworthy 6000 HP GE passenger locomotives...

Metra 613, you wrote: No one will know to Metra puts a bid out. Lets just hope emd gets it and makes a newer F59.So Metra can have something that will run and not brake all the
time like the mps.And to the visibility is horrible on the f59s. Have u ever see how bad the mps are to look out of go to railroad days and see if metra
has on like there had 427 last year.
I've gotta tell ya, Kyle's list was just the beginning; friends at Amtrak say that there are reports of F59PHI's are breaking down all over the place. Good ole EMD modern garbage.

#121308  by bones

EMD doesn't make an F59 anymore.

The SD70MAC was garbage when they were new. Now they're better. GE won the A.C. war hands down!

#121399  by AmtrakFan

How about Genesis P42's?

#121581  by MetraF40C607

Those load to slow and can't get crap moving fast enough. Frigin thing can't get out of it's own way.

#121616  by MikeF

AmtrakFan wrote:How about Genesis P42's?
Like the F59PHI's, they do not meet FRA Tier II crashworthiness standards.

#121880  by metrarider

MetraF40C607 wrote:Those load to slow and can't get crap moving fast enough. Frigin thing can't get out of it's own way.
That's an artifact of new emissions standards (the computer limiting starting ramp up in order to control emissions), and only affects speeds up until about 15mph, after that it will outpull a F40.

This is also true of the MP36's and any (new) locomotive meeting the latest emisions standards

But as also pointed out, the P42 in it's current form does not meet the latests crashworthiness standards required by the FRA. Only passenger locos that do at the moment are the MP36 and the PL42AC