Railroad Forums 

• What were DLW/Erie/EL Major Shops?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#47445  by AmtrakFan

What were DLW/Erie/EL Major shops and what did they do? The reason I'm asking is because I don't know what the shops were? Can someone Help.
Thanks
AmtrakFan

#47474  by cjvrr

Erie - Susquehanna, PA also in Dunmore, PA
DL&W - Scranton, PA
I think there were some car shops in Binghamton, NY too
Lyndhurst, NJ (Kingsland Branch) repair shops

Probably others too.

#47550  by johnpbarlow

other Erie shops: Hornell, NY and Marion, OH

#47655  by mxdata

By the early 1970s, the former Erie RR shop in Marion, Ohio was handling most of the running repairs on locomotives used in through train service on the railroad, while the former DL&W shop in Scranton was handling running repairs on units on the east end. Both of these shops had drop pits for changing traction motors and the ability to turn wheels. The former Erie RR shop in Hornell, New York was the principal backshop for the railroad and also had the ability to support running repairs of locomotives. The former Erie RR shops in Meadville, Pennsylvania served as the car shops for the railroad in the 1970s. There were many other facilities set up for locomotive servicing, and some of these could do fairly heavy repair work as well, like the shop at Youngstown, Ohio.

#47675  by livesteamer

Don't forget the MU shops in Hoboken that kept the Edison era MUs running for more than 50 years. There were some great craftsmen working at that location.

#47815  by AmtrakFan

Thanks for the Help eveyone.

AmtrakFan

#51728  by CNJFAN1000

Don't forget Keyser Valley car shop on the DL&W at Scranton