Railroad Forums 

• What was this?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#27712  by trainman2

When crossing the Pulaski Skyway from Newark to Jersey City, one can see to the right of the Route 1& 9 lift bridge the remains of what appears to be an old swing bridge.

There is still a center pivot post, and quite a bit remains of the approach on the Jersey City side. At leas one approach span is also intact on the other side.

Anybody know what this used to be, and how long it's been gone?

#27744  by csjmjj

I believe you are looking at what remains of the cnj's newark & NY Branch. Whats left of the hackensack river bridge. If you read some of the cnj history books the bridge was taken out by a tanker in feb 1946. the cnj used it as an excuse to discontinue their direct newark to jersey city connection. they took the insurance money but cutback service to kearney to serve the old Western Bell (pre Baby Bells ) plant there. The CNJ's Newark Station on Broad Street once had 4 tracks service to jersey City and also service to Elizabeth Port. The Blue Comet after it left Jersey City was routed over this branch and then sent down the Newark and Elizabeth Branch at Brills Junction towards Elizabethport on its way to Atlantic City. It makes you wonder if they never abandoned this connection How important this direct link to New york City would of become in regards to updating PATH in the 60's

#27751  by krapug

What you saw are the remants of the PASSAIC River Swing Bridge of the CNJ's former "Direct Route" or NJ & NY Branch.

After the Hackensack River Bridge was rendered beyond repair (per the CNJ anyway) in '46. shuttle trains to Kearny from Broad Street Newak used the Passaic River Bridge up to the Aldene Plan. I think that some freights used this bridge after the Aldene Plan, but it was OOS not long into Conrail. The bridge was double track wide but by the 60's only a single track remained on the span. The Swing Span itself was removed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's.

What you saw are the approach trestles, and center pivit that still remain in place.

The only signs of the Hackensack River Bridge are the cemant trestle supports that still remain in the water.

Ken

#27815  by Ken W2KB

The Blue Comet went by CNJ's mainline to E'Port as far as I know; by the Newark & NY Branch would have taken a much longer time. I have a photo of the Comet just west of Bayonne West 8th Station on my webpage.

#27816  by Ken W2KB

The Blue Comet went by CNJ's mainline to E'Port as far as I know; by the Newark & NY Branch would have taken a much longer time. I have a photo of the Comet just west of Bayonne West 8th Station on my webpage.

#27828  by Irish Chieftain

Correct. The Blue Comet operated via Bayonne, not the Newark and New York RR, nor Brills, nor the Mosquito Line.

It's a disgrace how much is gone from the Newark & New York RR. There is one segment that is currently operating, that being the HBLRT West Side Avenue branch, and whatever used to be west of the WSA station is now demolished. Quite a waste; it would have been worthwhile, if the line was still intact through to Newark instead of wantonly demolished, to re-extend LRT to Newark Broad Street at least.

There are some concrete abutments left of the line where it used to cross Central Avenue in South Kearny; an outline of banisters and stairs to the former River Terminal/Westinghouse station exists on one of these giant blocks of concrete.

#28123  by Ken W2KB

At one time the HB lightrail was to be continued west to 440 and then south to a large park and ride. May still be in the future plans. I recall the old CNJ Newark and NY bridge over Route 440 there; it was taken down around 1970 or so, and still had the pre-Miss Liberty round herald.
 #28170  by csjmjj

Gentlemen you are correct I rechecked Chris Baer book and it was the predecessor of the Blue Comet "The Atlantic City Express" which began running via Newark Transfer in 1925 till the arrival of the Blue Comet in Feb 1929. I Knew I had read something about Newark Transfer and Atlantic City.