Railroad Forums 

• What was Casey Jones TV Locomotive?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#376536  by Tregaskis

Hi All,
New member, just found out about you while visiting the Live Steam Weekend on the Niles Railway, Niles, California this weekend.

I have a question that I have not been able to answer and it dates back to 1957, 1958 when I was 10 years old.

Can anyone tell me which rail location the studio used to film the television show "Casey Jones" (with Alan Hale Jr. as Casey) and what kind of steam locomotive did they use in the show?

I have searched all I can think of to no avail. I appreciate it.

Greg
 #376811  by Aa3rt

Greg, the locomotive used in the "Casey Jones" TV series was the Sierra Railroad #3, the 4-6-0 that is probably best know as the "Hooterville Cannonball" from the Petticoat Junction/Beverly Hillibiilies/Green Acres series.

A little more info at:

http://www.brokenwheelranch.com/caseyjones.htm

NOTE-as of my post today the photo links do not appear to be working, however the text regarding the show is there.
 #377036  by Tregaskis

Art,
Thanks for the input. I thought it was the #3...we only live about 40 miles from the Sierra Railroad (Jamestown) and have seen the engine.
I can go back to sleep now.

Greg