Railroad Forums 

• What type of antenna?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#584187  by Ken W2KB

Consider getting this antenna and mount from http://www.hamradio.com

It will come with a cutting chart so you can adjust it to the perfect length for railroad frequencies.

115) Manufacturer: LARSEN
Item : NMO-150-B-K
Description : 2M 5/8 BLACK WHIP/COIL/NMO-K PKG
YOUR HRO PRICE $49.95
Additional information :

Complete 2m 5/8 wave antenena with 3/4" NMO Mount
Stock status: In-Stock-Item

177) Manufacturer: LARSEN
Item : NMO-MM-R-BNC
Description : NMOMM ROUND W BNC CONNECTOR ON CABLE
YOUR HRO PRICE $43.95
Stock status: In-Stock-Item
 #584579  by Steve F45

thanks for that link Ken. Checking them out now. Drilling a hole is really my last resort. I even thought about a bracket on the side of the pickup bed for a antenna. But thats not going to be high enough right?
 #584581  by Ken W2KB

Steve F45 wrote:thanks for that link Ken. Checking them out now. Drilling a hole is really my last resort. I even thought about a bracket on the side of the pickup bed for a antenna. But thats not going to be high enough right?
The cab would block signals in that direction, and the antenna's reception pattern would be directional because of the lack of a groundplane off the outside of the truck. And in general, the higher the better for the antenna.
 #584988  by EdM

i have an nmo on the rear trunk lid, works, but kinda sucks, should be in the center of the top roof
 #585385  by Steve F45

ok. So after all these questions and stubbon talk on my side :-D It has to be mounted to the roof for best results, but not necesarily drilled into the roof correct? Or can it be on the roof anywhere as long as it's mounted to it?
 #585417  by EdM

the roof is the rest of the antenna, it should be coupled to the roof, either directly or magnetically (seran wrap can protect the roof).. I am outa here. Ed