Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1349226  by jp1822

So here's an interesting question perhaps. What is VIA doing with the extra Renaissance sleepers now that the Ocean is on a three day a week schedule? Do they keep a consist "together" and rotate it in from time to time?

I have to wonder if a Renaissance sleeper would be considered to be on a "corridor" Renaissance consist and be booked as a "day room." Doubt they would ever appear on the Canadian, as it would require like two transitions cars. Plus the Canadian sleepers - Manor and Chateau + Prestige - are now matched nicely, for what it is worth.

If the train to Gaspe ever really got going again, I wouldn't be surprised if the consist is a Renaissance one, as was originally conceived.
 #1349326  by electricron

Are they still running Budds to Halifax on the Ocean? I thought when the eliminated one of the three rood trips they would move the Budds away from the Ocean, as they could be used on other trains. I don't see the English built Renaissance sleepers usable on the Canadian.
 #1349332  by Ken V

The third Renaissance set for the Ocean has been broken up. Some of the sleepers have been used to extend the length of the other two trainsets while others are being used as a source of parts. The coaches and service cars may be used to make up another corridor train but not the sleepers. VIA is planning to run extra Ocean trips over the Christmas period using a set of Budd cars.
 #1349439  by electricron

electricron wrote:Are they still running Budds to Halifax on the Ocean? I thought when they eliminated one of the three trips they would move the Budds away from the Ocean, as they could be used on other trains. I don't see the English built Renaissance sleepers usable on the Canadian.
 #1349482  by NS VIA FAN

electricron wrote:
electricron wrote:Are they still running Budds to Halifax on the Ocean? I thought when they eliminated one of the three trips they would move the Budds away from the Ocean, as they could be used on other trains. I don't see the English built Renaissance sleepers usable on the Canadian.
No, not on the Ocean for a few years now except for the Park Car which is always used and the occasional extra Budd sleeper that is attached directly ahead of the Park if addational capacity is required.

VIA did run a extra all Budd consist on 6 days last Christmas and plan to again this year.

>>>>>>>>

I would love to see a Ren Sleeper on the Canadian but it will probably never happen. On a trip from Halifax to Vancouver about ten years ago…..and after having experience the smooth riding Rens on the Ocean…..I was disappointed with the ride quality of the Budds. I thought how nice it would have been to have had a Ren Sleeper right across the country!
 #1349687  by marquisofmississauga

NS VIA FAN wrote: ...

I would love to see a Ren Sleeper on the Canadian but it will probably never happen. On a trip from Halifax to Vancouver about ten years ago…..and after having experience the smooth riding Rens on the Ocean…..I was disappointed with the ride quality of the Budds. I thought how nice it would have been to have had a Ren Sleeper right across the country!
So would I. Most railfans would have apoplexy at the thought of seeing the train with some Ren. sleepers, but when I travel I am a paying customer not a railfan. On my last four Vancouver - Toronto trips I was travelling with friends, not my wife, and being fussy about who I will share a room with I booked a roomette. Each time, after the first night I was wishing I was on the Ocean. Of course I could have splurged on a cabin for 2 for myself, but the supplement (50%) is a bit steep. The supplement on Ren. sleepers is 15%, so much lower than on the Canadian because there is no option of a cabin for 1. So even if the logistics of splicing Ren. sleepers into the Canadian could be dealt with, VIA might charge the higher 50% supplement. With the superior riding quality and the private shower, it might be worth it.