Railroad Forums 

• What the heck was S. Berliner Talking about re: NY&A

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #324212  by Sir Ray

Ok, long-time LIRR fans on this board most likely have visited S. Berliners Hobbies And Interest Page (his main page deals with Ultrasonics topics, hence the '~Berliner-Ultrasonics' in the website URL). His Hobbies and Interests pages , luckily for us, include a lot about the LIRR, New York City railroading, and so-on among other things (His pages do tend to have a Dr. Bonner Soap rambling-on sort of aspect to them, which I suppose is charming in it's own way).
Anyway, back in 1999 he had this to say about the NY&A
S Berliner wrote:BIG NEWS! Word is (May 1999) that the NY&AR may put back the Degnon switch (on the Montauk Cutoff above Skillman Avenue between 47th Avenue and Austell Place) and resume service!
They may also open the long-inactive nearby Kearney Terminal!
Further, the NY&AR has opened its 65th Street Yard, a blessing for rail-marine aficionados and modelers!
Here

Well, OK, now it's nearly the end of 2006, and AFAIK the NY&A never seriously considered the first two actions, and I don't know the current outcome of the 65th St. yard saga.
1.) Would there have been a reason to resume service to Degnon Terminal - who was left in 1999 to receive frieght car loads (That concrete plant?) I thought most of the large buildings on that side of VanDam had been converted to Educational/Showroom/Commerical space even by then.
2.) Kearny Terminal - maybe in 1999 Thypin steel was still around (now a police/EMS depot I've read), but anyone else rail freight capable.
3.) What is the current state of 65th yard, and who is using it? (I'm tempted to say this is a good reason for Government to let private railroads plan their facilities and usage, except in this region in the 1980s both government and the railroad companies (and the MTA) had no freaking clue how to run a freight railroad)

#324438  by jayrmli

Back in the early days of NYA, the marketing department tried to look into servicing Kearny and Degnon. Back then, it was felt it would be easier to go after ex-LIRR customers where the switches were still in or could be replaced using the tracks that were already there.

Once they checked out what was there, it was as you posted. Most of the businesses were either gone or re-tooled their operation, making it cost-prohibitive to return to rail.

65th Street is mainly used for storage. There is a bulk transfer facility which is used for unloading brick, but that's about it. There may be more use if its intended use of floating were to start, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Jay