Railroad Forums 

• What style of signals were used in NJ?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#364063  by Jers2709

What style of signals did Conrail use in NJ, I know on the NEC, Amtrak used the old PRR signals and I was wondering if Conrail used the same.

Thanks,

Jay
 #364068  by Jers2709

Jers2709 wrote:What style of signals did Conrail use in NJ, I know on the NEC, Amtrak used the old PRR signals and I was wondering if Conrail used the same.

Thanks,

Jay
Sorry, modeling 1990-1995

#364298  by scharnhorst

Conrail was never one to replace anything as long as it worked. As the old saying gos "if its not Broke don't fix it" It took CSX some time to replace some crossings gates in my area that stood the test of time on Penn Central and on Conrail upgradeing gates and adding electronic bells and new sentsing equipment.

#364353  by SooLineRob

In the time period you're interested in, Conrail's signals were mostly the "color light" type. The actual styles in use depended on which area of New Jersey you're modelling...

The River Line from Jersey City north to Selkirk had the "New York Central" style searchlight signals, with a single bulb and lenses that changed the colors.

From Jersey City westward to Allentown/Philadelphia, the signals generally were the "bowling ball" type that had a bulb for each color.

The only place I recall Conrail having the PRR position lights was on Upper Bay Drawbridge at the east end of Oak Island yard.

Of course, Amtrak's NEC was all PRR position lights. However, during the '90's, Amtrak was replacing the "all amber" bulbs with "color position lights". So, instead of having three horizontal amber bulbs, you'd have two horizontal red bulbs with the center position now dark/unused...

#364703  by Jers2709

Thanks Rob, that will definitely help me out a lot.

Jay

#365583  by SooLineRob

Actually Jay, I forgot others as well ... my oops! I was thinking strictly Conrail owned lines. New Jersey Transit owned, Conrail operated lines had different style color-lights. In addition, many signal bridges and cantilevers were still in use on NJT tracks.

If you're doing the former Erie Lackawanna lines, they each had their own unique color light signals as well.

The former Erie had a couple different styles, some being single bulb/multiple lenses and some being 3 bulbs stacked over each other vertically, a bulb for each color. And the Erie side also had two-headed signals with a really big gap between the top and bottom signal discs.

The former DL&W had an older style "bowling ball" type; with 3 bulbs, one for each color.

I can't recall what the former CNJ (NJT) main had, they were color lights, most likely the newer "bowling ball" stlye.

In general, Conrail's Automatic signals (the ones with a number plate, placed anywhere) were the 3-bulb "bowling ball" style and Absolutes/Home/Positive signals (the ones without a number plate located at Interlockings/power switches) were the single bulb/multiple lense type.

In summary, Conrail themselves used color lights (except for Upper Bay's PRR's) without signal bridges/cantilevers. If you're doing any Conrail trains on NJT trackage, better consult photos first ... Good luck with the project!!!

#365654  by Jers2709

Thanks, I think I'll need that luck!

#383416  by Pj

To make a little more easier...

The "Tri lights" are known as "G" signals, and was the preferred signal used by them if they resignalled lines. As Amtrak replaces its non PRR sytle signals, they are using these, but with LED lights.

#386385  by rocketman

You'll find the "G" type signals on the Riverline as well.