Railroad Forums 

• What sets of operating rules are out there?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#683688  by explorer

I am interested in learning more about the sets of rules North American railroads use. I am familiar with the NORAC rules for NE railroads, but what other rulesets are out there?

If it matters, I am mostly interested in signal rules.

Thanks.
 #685858  by 2nd trick op

Here's a link to a page that may provide a little more background on how rail operating rules evolved.

http://www.lnrr.org/archive/Documents/D ... ation.html

I think it's important to recognize that operating rules probably vary a bit more between the various companies of the present time than was the case during most of the Twentieth Century. During those years, almost any operating railroader knew that a reference to Rule G, for example, translated into "No booze for youse". GCOR, on the other hand, uses an entirely different format from NORAC which, in turn, reads much more like the rulebooks of an earlier day.
 #686307  by Gadfly

NS had theirs divided onto 2 books. The "Operating" Rulebook, and the "General Conduct and Safety Rules" which applies to all employees, Operating and Non-Ops.
There was also a set of rules governing the operation of fork lifts and shop tractors.
Shop crafts had to take a separate test periodically to qualify for the operation of such equipment. The GC&S rulebook also contained, I believe, the standard rules about crane signals and "tag" lines.

Gadfly
 #721555  by DutchRailnut

now if you could only fix the website where they kep refering to " Amtrack"
 #722958  by gp9rm4108

CROR in Canada.

I work for CN and in your rule book you must have:

Rule 83a Summary Bulletin
Applicable time tables
Rule book
GOI
Engineers Manual
Passenger train evacuation/emergency section
Applicable terminal manuals
Regional and Divisional Special Instructions
Dangerous Goods section

I feel like I am forgetting something.
 #724459  by 2nd trick op

I recall an Amtrak rules instructor informing us (back in 1995) that all passenger runs operating in Canada had to carry an axe ... presumably to revove an obstacle or free a trapped accident victim. I'm wondering if that rule's still with us?
 #724786  by litz

We aren't (obviously) anywhere near canada ... but on the Blue Ridge Scenic (in North Georgia), we keep - at a minimum - a crowbar, first aid kit, flashlight, and fire extinguisher in every car on the train.

- litz