Railroad Forums 

• What's with Watertown?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#261133  by Steve Wagner

I saw the commuter train headed by the 350 running backwards at Porter Square about 5:25 p.m. June 1. I noticed it partly because of the most unusual locomotive, partly because no inbound run was due any time near then. The 1017 was completely silent -- thus, no head-end power from the rear. And, as a freight engine, the 350 wasn't providing "hotel power" either. So whatever passengers were on board had no lights (except for the emergency ones) and, much worse on that day, no air conditioning. I was glad I didn't have to ride that train!

#261180  by sery2831

And that came ALL the way in from Fitchburg like that!

#263892  by NellsChoo

Another move on the branch... another move that I MISSED!!! :( But it makes me happy to hear they are still serving Newlyweds... :-D

#264835  by FatNoah

I went over the crossing on Rt. 16, and it looked like there were some "flange tracks" in the dirt near the rails. They looked fairly recent; within the last week or so.
 #264998  by GP40MC1118

The last move to the Watertown Branch was June 29th. BO-1 came out of Somerville lite engine and retrieved 5 empties from Newlyweds

D
 #265261  by b&m 1566

GP40MC1118 wrote:The last move to the Watertown Branch was June 29th. BO-1 came out of Somerville lite engine and retrieved 5 empties from Newlyweds

D
Do you mean the last move for good or just the most recent move?
 #265263  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:The last move to the Watertown Branch was June 29th. BO-1 came out of Somerville lite engine and retrieved 5 empties from Newlyweds

D
Do you mean the last move for good or just the most recent move?
Most recent move i believe he was refering too

#274083  by crash575

Guilford was back at newlywed's today, July 27th. I'm not sure if they were picking up empties or bringing new hoppers in. There were quite a few cars. They got there around 3 pm and as of 4:15 pm the train is still there.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... 461847.jpg

#274091  by GP40MC 1116

crash575 wrote:Guilford was back at newlywed's today, July 27th. I'm not sure if they were picking up empties or bringing new hoppers in. There were quite a few cars. They got there around 3 pm and as of 4:15 pm the train is still there.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... 461847.jpg
Are you on the "in" list or ? LOL! How do you know when Guilford is at Newlyweds or not. Scanner or? NOt sure if my GRS Railfan TT is out of date or not, but would that train be AY-1?

#274099  by NellsChoo

I just saw a photo on NErail of today's train!!! I wonder if it would still be there when I get home, at about 6:15PM... probably not

:(

#274111  by Guilford Guy

grrr compay at 6 :-(

#274117  by crash575

If only there was an "in" list. I actually live a few blocks away and every now and then i look down to the tracks and can see the train from Mt. Auburn St.

#274119  by GP40MC 1116

crash575 wrote:If only there was an "in" list. I actually live a few blocks away and every now and then i look down to the tracks and can see the train from Mt. Auburn St.
Ahh no kidding, it's interesting, i grew up in Watertown over on Spruce St, lived their for 16 years, since 2000 ive lived in NH here for High School and now college. I don't remember seeing the train much, i just remember the tracks, but only a handful of times i remember the train
 #274148  by GP40MC1118

AY-1 brought the cars down from Ayer and BO-1 came lite engine out of
Boston to meet them at W.Cambridge. Understand there was a small
derailment. BO-1 made it back to Somerville with five cars. AY canned
at W.Cambridge.

D
 #274238  by GP40MC1118

AY-2's crew taxied to W.Cambridge to retrieve AY-1's power.

D