Railroad Forums 

• What's With all the FGLK Boxcars?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1263288  by NYCS

I've been browsing through some photo sites looking at the rolling stock variety coming into Oak Point, Fresh Pond, NYNJ Rail, etc., and I couldn't help but notice something peculiar: There are dozens upon dozens of Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) boxcars running a muck throughout NYC and Long Island. These cars are usually patched FGLK but show the lineage of light yellow (heritage unknown); Texas Mexican; Guilford (white); St. Lawrence Railway; or newly painted boxcar red. Based on pictures they all come in cuts, leading me to believe they are classified in Selkirk and originate from the same origin (shipper?). Does anyone know the story behind these cars? Are they consigned to one particular customer in NYC/LI, are they in some form of lease arrangement, or do they all actually originate on the Finger Lakes Railway? I suspect they could be "leasers" like EEC, but of course I could be wrong.

Anyone know the story behind these cars, and why we see them in droves? Thanks!

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2681103

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2367356

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1552807

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2681122
 #1263297  by AlKaLI

When you know the answer it's easy. Actually NYCS you have it right. The FGLK cars are boxcars loaded with kraft paper rolls for Rock-Tenn (former Southern Container plant) in Deer Park, NY. The cars undoubtedly hold rolls (usually 20) of linerboard and medium kraft paper used to make corrugated boxes. (Corrugated is the correct term. They're not cardboard). Southern Container was associated with the paper mills that produced the rolls in Solvay, NY Finger Lakes Railway territory. I just searched on Google and found that the paper mill belongs to Rock-Tenn now as well. Paper mills take orders, produce and ship rolls in bunches. Plus Rock-Tenn at Deer Park has an 8-car interior loading dock. 8 cars at 20 rolls/car = 160 rolls

So to sum up, the end customer (Rock-Tenn Deer Park) orders their monthly order of stock, the mill produces (Solvay, NY) and then blocks of FGLK boxcars get loaded at Solvay, NY thru Selkirk, Oak Point and on to LI.

Rock-Tenn has other "box" (corrugating plants) as in Dayton, NJ. Funny FGLK boxcars used to appear there as well as I remember.

How do I know all this. Well . . .some "inside" information.
I could tell you more if you want. :-)
 #1263486  by freightguy

Tough business to be in right now. I believe one of Southern Containers accounts used to be making Boxes for Entenmann's which recently announced it's closing on Long Island. You can watch this costumer being switched from the Tanger Mall in Deer Park.
 #1264787  by NYCS

Thanks for all the info AlKaLI !!!

Quite appropriate Entenmanns was a customer of Southern Container. The domino effect of Long Island's industrial decline continues. So we can safely assume they will be receiving fewer carloads, then none, then vacate, and the site turned into retail/residential.
 #1264939  by AlKaLI

You're welcome.

The loss of one cutomer won't necessarily shut down Southern Container (Rock-Tenn) but it sure doesn't help. But I agree with you NYCS that too many industries are leaving LI.
It would be interesting to see how the NY&A's annual carloads are doing throughout the past 5 or so years. However, it might show that inbound loads are being replaced by outbound trash and C & D loads.
 #1265015  by NYCS

^ Well, I'm sure Brookhaven Rail Terminal has bumped up the number of railcars handled, and BRT no doubt should not be overlooked as a sort of "mini renaissance" in terms of rail traffic on Long Island. However, it's the industries along the Bushwick, Lower Montauk, Bay Ridge and other branches that I worry about - virtually all of the buildings are in a state of decay, the cost of doing business on the island is going up, and there is increasing pressure from the gentrification of "hipsters" in turning these "blighted" properties into residential units. People are also being priced out of Manhattan, and they are looking for new areas to move into. The city obviously has no problem transforming its run-down industrial building stock into retail, residential and other "service oriented" functions. Then they can hail it as a "success" to show progress, with blatant disregard for the importance of what was replaced.