Railroad Forums 

• What's the status of the U23B preservation efforts?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#398110  by MP366

Some time back I visited a website of a group based in Sayre, PA that had an agreement with RMDI in Coxton to preserve the "last" LV U23B...at the time I believe it was former CR 2787, maybe LV 512. I e-mailed the contact listed on the site but got no reply. Is the project still ongoing or is it a dead issue?

#398196  by ANDY117

Paging Greg Deibler...

#398235  by scottychaos

Im not a member of the Sayre Historical Society, so I dont know for sure, but I believe the project is still simply in the "collecting money" stage.
the loco was donated to the museum, but they still have to pay for it to be moved to Sayre. so fundraising has been on-going for several years now.

Greg will probably chime in with more info.

and the unit is most likely LV 511 (CR 2787).

Scot
 #398370  by arnstg

Went to the Sayre Museum at: http://www.sayrehistoricalsociety.org/l ... scue.shtml to check on status.

If it is up to date, they have received only $2K out of $5K required in 3+ years.

This is the same amount that has been shown for those 3 years. Has the amount received changed? Or is this organization no longer around?

I am anxious to see this project completed since I have contributed to it but I can not find out what progress has been made.

Help! Jerry
 #398455  by Lehighrrgreg

Hi all,

Everything regarding the U23B is still in the works. It was never going to be an overnight occurance but it has been quite a while and I do apologize for the lack of consistent updates. Since entering the world of employment, Ive relinquished all the SHS publicity and website creation work I was once in charge of. The renovation of the station and work have been constant that the time slips by.

So here is the update for the horses (@$$) mouth:

As of right now, the fundraising total is the same as it was when the graphic was created. I havent been as aggressive on obtaining the funds because the donor is overwhelmed with other projects and no definite timeframe has been presented to me as to when this thing will come up. When the time comes, the remaining amount necessary to move the locomotive will be funded with SHS general funds. It is this additional window of time that I plan on revising a few things with the wisdom Ive gained over the past few years. I intend on hiring a track contractor to install either composite or brand new crossties on our track and grade the subsurface with better stone and drainage so no one will ever have to do maintenance on the track again. (The relays in now are in rough shape)

When the track gets finished, the caboose will be moved regardless of the engine's arrival or not. All these events are going to be funded through private finance and other sources of revenue. The money raised to move the locomotive remains in the bank collecting interest for its sole intended purpose. I do realize that a lot of individuals contributed money and it is my intention to return every cent should plans change or circumstances render this project impossible. I have kept impecable records regarding every aspect of financial contributions to this and every other SHS project I oversee. However, if you feel you would like your contribution withdrawn or specify an alternate earmark get ahold of me with the contacts below.

Any further questions regarding the project can be directed to the Sayre Historical Society's email address at
[email protected]

or give me a call any time at 570 882 8221

#398531  by scottychaos

Thanks for the update Greg!

glad to hear its still on-going..
these kinds of things take time, a few years is not unusual at all..

I can think of several preservation efforts that have been measured in decades..
(Alco PAs, the WAG ford centercab, etc)
it happens eventually, thats the important thing.

I for one want the money I dontated to the cause to continue to sit there in the bank! :P
no hurry and no worries here.

thanks,
Scot

#445419  by ANDY117

How about another update, Greg?
 #446223  by Lehighrrgreg

Nothing to update on Andy. The building is in the midst of the interior renovation and the elevator is nearly installed. A new exterior sign has been built and thats about it. The goal is that by November, some sort of exhibit hours will be posted for public visitation. Ill keep you posted

Greg