Railroad Forums 

• What's the rail industry like in Los Angeles?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1363492  by abc8251

I took a trip to Los Angeles recently and loved it. I want to live there actually. I know BNSF and UP are big there, but they've been in a hiring freeze for quite some time. It could be another year before they hire Conductors again too. There's Amtrak California and Metrolink. LA also has a subway system. Any others?
 #1364543  by The RR Authority

Engineer Spike wrote:Careful about hiring out in a big city. The cost of living is much higher, but the standard pay rates still apply. I hired out in Chicagoland, but got cut off. When I bid in a normal small city, my rent, car insurance....all went down.

Not to mention the horrible crime rate in Chicago, L.A. or any other big city these days.
 #1379039  by MichaelB86

UP Los Angeles has their sweet Basin Agreement but it's weird. Not all of the LA Service Unit gets it, just guys who actually work in the LA Basin IE Downtown, Long Beach, Dolores... West Colton doesn't count. But for the guys who get it their basic day is like 289 miles or something. Of course, when you're getting paid Dentist money to answer the phone you're less inclined to retire. The Seniority in LA is a NIGHTMARE. Dudes with 10 years seniority getting cut off, etc. Meanwhile, just north of the border in the Roseville SU 10 years of seniority either on the ground or in the seat gets you a steady pool job just about anywhere you'd like to be. Not sure what it's like at BNSF in LA but I imagine it's the same. I wouldn't even consider transferring to LA unless I got at least a 2004 date in exchange lol.