Railroad Forums 

• What's the difference between the F40PH and F40PH-2?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#338256  by DutchRailnut

Dash 2 electronics.

#338375  by crazy_nip

All F40's have -2 electronics

#338816  by RRSloth

Modules, as opposed to a rat's nest, in the electrical cabinet. This applies to any -2 engine.

#338972  by crazy_nip

Again, they all have -2 electronics. Even the SDP40's did.

#338983  by timz

SDP40Fs, you mean. (GN's SDP40s didn't, did they?)

Since F40s didn't appear until around 1976, surely nobody thinks they lacked modular controls? So ... what is an F40PH-2, anyway?

#338988  by ExEMDLOCOTester

timz wrote:SDP40Fs, you mean. (GN's SDP40s didn't, did they?)

Since F40s didn't appear until around 1976, surely nobody thinks they lacked modular controls? So ... what is an F40PH-2, anyway?
I can answer most of the question:

F Full width carbody

40 series (Turbo 645 engine)

P (this is what I don't remember)

H Head end power (Hotel service)

-2 Transistorized traction control

#338997  by Jtgshu

I thought the P meant Passenger gearing (high speed) gearing for the traction motors

#339023  by crazy_nip

timz wrote:SDP40Fs, you mean. (GN's SDP40s didn't, did they?)
You know what I mean... are we talking about GN here?

#340710  by MEC407

And the correct answer is -- drum roll, please! --

The F40PH-2 is basically identical to the F40PH, except that its prime mover is rated at 3200 HP rather than 3000 HP.

According to Field Guide To Diesel Locomotives by Greg McDonnell, "The boost in horsepower was a nominal effort to reduce the parasitic load of the HEP generator, which draws its power directly from the prime mover and can reduce horsepower available for traction by as much as 700 HP, depending upon HEP demands. For this reason, some operators of older F40PHs, notably Amtrak and Metra, uprated these units from 3000 to 3200 HP."

All F40PH locomotives, regardless of whether or not they have "-2" in the model name, do have "-2" electrical systems.

#340728  by mxdata

Which is very strange because I have a copy of EMD specification 8105 sitting in my files and it is titled "Locomotive Specifications - Model F40PH-2 - 3000 HP Diesel-Electric Passenger Locomotive". And 3000 horsepower is repeated in the general information table and on the performance curves.

In the same bunch of stuff is a list showing EMD locomotive order #766062 for the Regional Transportation Authority (Metra) for units number 100 through 127 rated at 3200 horsepower when delivered and they are listed as F40PH, not F40PH-2.

Hmmmm.....

#341364  by ExEMDLOCOTester

mxdata wrote:Which is very strange because I have a copy of EMD specification 8105 sitting in my files and it is titled "Locomotive Specifications - Model F40PH-2 - 3000 HP Diesel-Electric Passenger Locomotive". And 3000 horsepower is repeated in the general information table and on the performance curves.

In the same bunch of stuff is a list showing EMD locomotive order #766062 for the Regional Transportation Authority (Metra) for units number 100 through 127 rated at 3200 horsepower when delivered and they are listed as F40PH, not F40PH-2.

Hmmmm.....
Did they (order #766062) have the exhaust silencer? If I remember correctly we had to subtract horse power during the HP calc for the silencer. I don't remember the value of subtraction, and order #766062 was before my time in test department.

#341406  by DutchRailnut

As far as transition circuit, I thought the F40 was one oof locomotives built in straight parrallel, with only field shunting ??

#341815  by mxdata

On the question of exhaust silencers on F40PH order 766062 (RTA 100 through 127) my recollection is that they did have them as built, but for the horsepower rating that was assigned to them they might have had the 16-645E3A engine when built rather than the 16-645E3. I have nothing on hand that shows that though, and the last time I was in the engine room of one of those locomotives was close to thirty years ago, so maybe somebody currently at Metra can tell us.

Regarding traction motor connections:

"Permanent parallel connection with no field shunting OR fully automatic transition with no field shunting, dependent upon selection of gear ratio."

Locomotive Control section, Specification 8105