Railroad Forums 

• What's New In The Erie, Pa. Area?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#380226  by JJJeffries

Hello All:

Just checking in to see what's new in the Erie, Pa. area? How's the run thru working out for NS along side the CSX main?

Anything new on the restoration of the former NYC passenger terminal? I hope to be trackside this May or June when I do my annual checkup at the VA Hospital.

Anything new at the NorthEast historical NYC site? Have they built the new Wolverine ride at Waldameer yet? Rode the original back in 1949 it was a wild ride.

Best,
Craig Johnson
Lock Haven

#381509  by cascade siding

On a sad note locally, this past Friday saw production end at GAF down at the bayfront of roofing shingles. Built in the late 1890's as the Watson Paper Co., the plant was served by the E&P (Erie & Pittsburgh) RR, then the PRR, PC, Conrail, and finally CSX. The CSX Erie Yard job (Y120) will probably pick up the remaining empty covered hoppers sometime Monday. The building of the new convention center next door on the old Erie Sand & Gravel dock was the writing on the wall. GAF wanted the state of PA to kick in $40 million or so towards a new facility along the old NYC Water Level Route along East 12th St. but that was a no go. It's closing leaves Erie Coke Corp. as the only regular customer down at the lake along the old Pennsy.
Over at the old Hammerill Paper Co. property to the east, a new bio-diesel plant is scheduled to start during this coming August. Contractors (I believe Delta)were replacing rail and ties along the track up to the CSX connection this past week.
I'm running a bit late now. Start by for more details on Erie later.

#381714  by cascade siding

Taking a ride to Erie along the newest portion of the Bayfront Highway from I-90 & the RT430 exit is worth it as the road parallels the ALY RR from Shannon Rd past their "Erie Transload Yard" (a long siding where jumbo covered hoppers filled with plastic pellets dropped off year round for Erie Plastics on the east end and loads of gravel for the making of asphalt are left on the west end when the plants are in operation) just east of McClelland Ave then under the new NS overpass before climbing over the CSX (former NYC) with OD Yard ("Outer Depot") to the west and the CSX Erie Yard (formerly NYC East Yard) to the east. Just north of the East 12th St. intersection the former PRR trackage to the lake comes back to the west along the roadway. During the week, around 11am or so, the Erie Yard job (Y120) makes it run down to the lake yard with loads of coal for Erie Coke Corp. in tow plus flatcar loads of I-beam steel on the tail end. (Gone are the boxcars and covered hoppers of roofing granules for GAF.)
If you continue going west on the road, it'll take you past the old lake yard with the track ending at the GAF plant. There's a new library, intermodal (bus) hub,( plus the good old Public Dock), as other non RR points of interest also. Metro Machine (I believe) has the old Litton Industries dry dock and facilities. It's slated to get a siding into the property sometime later this year. Eventually, the W.Bayfront becomes I-79 with the big bridge over CSX and NS. I-90 is about 5 miles south of that.
The remnant of the NKP W19th trackage passes under the bridge also. The NS local out of Conneaut, Ohio, (the C1A) services a plastic shop on the line plus occasionally goes into the old B&LE (West Erie Shortline) Yard at Greengarden Blvd. I've seen the train with an old NW red cupola caboose in tow several times depending on the motive power on the train.
GE continues to produce locomotives at a record rate with a rainbow of lash-ups at the EEC (East Erie Commercial)/CSX interchange just west of the Franklin Ave bridge usually waiting for pick up by CSX. Lately, UP, BNSF, and CSX units are there ready to go.
The new NS alignment along the CSX through Erie makes for quick passage of the NS trains compared to the street running of W19th St. The "new" W19th sure seems different, much wider, than the old days. On the new main, at Cascade St. is a bidirectional signal plus a equipment detector about four blocks to the east (complete with a voice recording featuring a Southern accent, maybe Virginian). It sure isn't the same without the street running.
The construction of Waldameer's "Ravine Flyer" rollercoaster started this past week. It should be something to see it zip over Peninsula Drive going to and fro from Presque Isle.
Erie's still a nice place to visit (but sadly, as with many other places, getting more difficult to maintain a home at).
Hope this helps.
 #381729  by JJJeffries

Cascade Siding:

Thank You for your complete report. To me Erie will always have a very special effect on me.

I lived there from 1946-56 and Erie made a huge impact on me. So much was going on back then.

BE building those large ditch diggers and cranes. Marx Toys Continental Rubber...Hammermill...Griswold Mgr...Erie Sand...the PRR ore trains...PRR passenger trains...the mighty NYC four track mainline and all those trains...good old Waldameer and the original Ravine Flyer...The Greatest Show On Earth and their four trains and that huge tent set up on Cherry St. Going to see great movies at the Warner Theatre...going to see cartoons and westerns at the old Shea Theatre on Peach St.

So much to see and do. The lake and everything there. Swimming...sailing and fishing for lake Perch. Oh so good.

Probably the best was The Boston Store. Fifth floor was the toy floor and every December was a toy train heaven.

Erie, my second home.

Best,
Craig Johnson
Lock Haven, Pa. (only 220 miles away)