Railroad Forums 

• What's New At The M&E Shops?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#7496  by Sandy Burton

18 is in service at Morristown
19 is in service at Tropicana
20 is in service at Bayway
21 is stored out of service at Whippany (RS-1)
22 is stored out of service somewhere on a siding on the Morris & Essex
4216 is in service at Tropicana
4223 is out of service at Morristown
4228 is in service at Morristown
4231 is in service on the Octoraro, formerly 21
4240 is stored out of service at Morristown
4264 is in service at Bayway
7215 is being painted at Morristown but still out of service
7216 is stored out of service at Morristown
7206 is stored out of service at Morristown
the rest of the RS-11s are at Lake Junction, so I am told

488 and 489 are stored serviceable at Morristown
485-487 are stored out of service on the Whippany line

I think that is all as of right now. Of course, this may all change tomorrow.

Sandy
 #7606  by Tri-State Tom

Sandy -

#22 remains parked with one of the ex-SOO cabs and the restored ex-Lackawanna baggage car on the DREW siding in Madison. This equipment is under the watchful eye of a reportedly 'connected' family who happens to also make some excellent home made wine ! The head of this family has become a new and enthusiastic railfan !

#7656  by jhdeasy

One of the privately owned passenger cars stored at "Hanover Park" on M&E was in the shop for some work.

Lightweight bedroom lounge MOUNT VERNON (PPCX 800708) had an Amtrak PC-1 (annual) inspection. The potable water freeze protection circuits were repaired. A small modification was completed to the air brake system to allow easier completion of a single car test.

Heavyweight business car CANNON BALL (PPCX 800049) is stored pending resolution of truck issues identified during an Amtrak PC-2A (ten years) inspection.

Lighweight diner-lounge EPICURUS (800???) is stored awaiting her next operational commitment.

#8663  by thebigham

From Andy Inserra at the Yahoo Alco email list:

Hey folks

Ed Bowers has sold his two M-420's (SLAQ 3562 & 3573) to the Maine Eastern
Railroad - this is the new line run by M&E.

Take care
Andy

**Now with Alco Export Lists, Video, and hundreds of Alco photos!**
Alcos in the USA and Canada and Beyond
www.tamr.org/Andy_Inserra

President, Railroad Club at the Univ. of Minnesota
www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/index.html

#8813  by MEC407

thebigham wrote: Ed Bowers has sold his two M-420's (SLAQ 3562 & 3573) to the Maine Eastern
Railroad - this is the new line run by M&E.
Weren't those the two units that recently were sold to SRNJ? Or am I thinking of a different pair of SLQ M420s?

And speaking of M420s, I wonder what ever happened to the two ex-P&W M420s that belonged to Maine Coast Railroad, which of course was the predecessor of the Maine Eastern...

#9036  by PVRX

The Southern Railroad of New Jersey acquired 3519, 3578, 3579.

#9087  by Alcoman

The 2 ex-P&W M420's have gone to NRE.
 #10258  by RS115

Stopped by Morristown at lunch today:
4223 (stills sans number boards) fairly far up the house lead with the military critter coupled to it.

7215 outside on track two with the painter working on it (pulling taping off etc). Looks like a radically diff paint scheme may be in the works. The engine is black everywhere on the body - some areas obviously more coated than others. On the long hood is a rectangular M&E red patch (couldn't see 100% but looks like from the rear of the cab to the end of the main portion of the hood - not the full length) surrounded by yellow piping.

Will be a very big change from what we're used to on the other Alcos - reserving judgement till see the completed product.
 #11455  by RS115

Stopped by Morristown at lunch time Friday - RR was closed for Good Friday but four new Comet V cab cars on the old interchange track (dropped by NJT I assume unless M&E brought them home with them on Thursday).
Saturday rode the 4:00 Bunny hop to Morristown and return from Whippany. The NJT cars had been moved down to storage on the Ridgedale Ave run-around track. Train was the same as the original from last week: (East to west: 4228, 3 NJT Comet I's, Chair car Morris County, Alder Falls, FL-9 489). Upon return to Whippany they drilled the MC and Alder Falls into the house track and were preparing to head back to Morristown when I had to leave. Don't know when they're returning the Comets to Transit - I assume they did it today as there are no trains on Easter.
The train looked good but both 4228 and the FL-9's (488 was on display on the run-around at Whippany) are showing lots of road grime. Why bother to put on these great paint jobs if you're then not going to keep them clean?? 4228 appears to be blowing oil - it's running down the engineers side back by the stack.