Railroad Forums 

• What’s left of the DL&W Colvin to Starin-Well, nothing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1620118  by SST

While I was on Hertel Ave today, I was looking at the DL&W row a few blocks over on my map. I see that Colvin and Starin are connected with the new and continuing growth of the neighborhood. They really stripped the row down to nothing. Here are two pics of what is there now.

This picture, Colvin is behind me and I’m facing east on Rachel Vincent Way.

This picture is at the end of Rachel Vincent at Starin. You can see how high the row use to be and how much they removed by looking across the street. Still some empty lots for sale.
 #1620161  by RayT

The ROW was supposed to be owned by the NFTA and rail banked for future light rail expansion. But real estate interests on the NFTA board sold the right of way to themselves. Somewhere there has to be way to challenge this encroachment via the STB
 #1620456  by colorado

Now you had to make me look on Google Maps.....lots has changed in the decades I moved from NYS. I had railroad buff buddies who lived on Taunton and St Lawrance back in the day, we hiked the DL&W black rock to bison a few times. My Grandparents lived on Nicholson, could always hear the EL Geeps pulling a rock puller (Cars of taconite for Republic). We didn't get many pictures of the Rock Pullers but did get a few pictures of the ex Wabash F7's in the seventies as we kinda concentrated on those. EL Geep 7's were all over and common in the seventies but F units were on the decline then.

We were looking at Youtube a couple months ago and found the local NRHS has put their calendar pictures online, low and behold I had one on there from the late seventies or early eighties of Wabash F graytop leading a train on the DL&W black rock branch somewhere near Colvin.
 #1622266  by videobruce

I estimate there are around 200 single family homes between Colvin Ave. and Starin Ave. either built and occupied or lots sold and in the building stage.
The old ROW east of Delaware Ave. is now being developed with a mix of homes and apartments that appears to be a NYS project according to the sign posted. This only goes around 1/3 of thew way between Delaware and Colvin. The area west of Colvin has been occupied for commercial structures.