Railroad Forums 

• What's left of the CNJ?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1323937  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Was at JU in Bethlehem today. Lots of action. Light power set with NS Dash 9W and two CNs came out and parked under the hill to hill bridge on the old CNJ main. Then a NS GP 38-2 came east on the old CNJ main and then went back west. About 90 mins. later another set of light power NS SD70 and C40-8 standard cab came east on CNJ main and coupled to the other three engines. A west bound empty freight came over Reading bridge and into JU. That was a surprise. The Portland job came out and crossed over followed 5 mins. later by the Washington local. Not bad. Only wished the sun had stayed out AND that someone would cut down all the excessive brush along the Lehigh Canal.Even though it hasn't "greened up" yet it is still so thick that you can't see the trains in many spots.
 #1561698  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Wow! Things have certainly changed in 6 years. The old main from East Allentown north only sees local action now as NS cut out 36/37T road jobs. Welded rail main for short locals, go figure. The R&N no longer goes to Packerton via JIm Thorpe to exchange cars. It was fun while it lasted. Heck Allentwon yard was pretty under-used last time I saw it. I know the hump is no longer used. I don't even know if there are any road freights east of Allentown anymore. I know the P'burg exchange job, the Martins Creek grain job, and the Manville turn still go out of the yard. The Portland job bit the dust in late '17. That killed a lot of railfanning by itself, let alone abolishing the 36/37 T early in 2020. Now all we have are locals.
Railroading changes almost as fast as the seasons anymore , it seems. :(