Railroad Forums 

• What's in these cars?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#851746  by CPSK

Hi;
Today I saw a train consisting of mostly black gondolas (some or all of them might have been covered) with markings "ESIX" or "OFSX". Some of them also had a label "Fire Hose Connection" below a capped pipe sort of thing. I wasn't very close to the cars, so I wasn't able to get too much detail.

I did a search here and found that the OFSX cars belong to a power utility, and someone mentioned trash, although there was absolutely no smell coming from any of these cars.
The train was SOBO on the CSX River Line in Teaneck, NJ. It had stopped on the controlled siding while another train came south passing it on track 1.

I am very interested these days in knowing what and where these trains are carrying.

FW
 #851805  by roadster

It is trash. The fire hose port is incase of spontanious compustion or accident ignition, the fire dept. simply sticks the hose in the port and turns on the water. Opening the top may allow too much air in and cause the fire to flare up.
 #851945  by CPSK

roadster wrote:It is trash. The fire hose port is incase of spontanious compustion or accident ignition, the fire dept. simply sticks the hose in the port and turns on the water. Opening the top may allow too much air in and cause the fire to flare up.
I'm surprised that there was no smell. It was a warm day. With the EPIC containers, I can usually tell it's the trash train even before I get sight of it. Maybe these were empty cars? Or the particular trash wasn't too nasty :-)

FW
 #851963  by RichM

There's a difference between municipal solid waste (msw) and contruction / demolition debris. I think you saw (and didn't smell) the latter.
 #852708  by lexon

Sometimes I am at my buddies hot dog stand at the former West Springfield railroad station and see a Trash Train come though. Usually construction trash. Never did pay attention to the markings though. I may do that tomorrow.

Rich
 #853328  by iceman977th

EnviroSolutions trash gondolas. They're probably heading down here to Big Run via CSX for offload into the landfill. H706 runs twice daily here swapping cars out for the landfill. Mind you this is the same landfill that caught fire about 8 or 9 years ago...
 #853442  by roadster

I see alot of those cars up here in Western NY too. Loads West, Empties East.