Railroad Forums 

• What NYO&W trackage is still active?

• Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.
Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.

Moderators: David, CAR_FLOATER

#1134759  by David

Are there any NYO&W lines still being used? Any equipment still working?
 #1134785  by Noel Weaver

The two sections of track that are still somewhat or more active at this time are Fulton to Oswego which is owned now by CSX and is still in regular operation although I don't know how much business is still left in Oswego.
A little bit of trackage in Middletown that is used by the Middletown and New Jersey or whatever it is called these days and again I don't know just how active it is. There might be a little bit left in Utica that would be operated by the NYS&W if it still is in place. Nothing else really comes to mind right now. Maybe others in the area can fill us in somewhat better.
Noel Weaver
 #1134922  by ricebrianrice

As for equipment, there are no locomotives in regular service any more, but there are still some around.

http://owrhs.comp-wiz.com/new/index.php ... eservation

#116 is now on the Delaware & Ulster Railroad, it is operational in storage.
#130 is no longer in service, I can not remember if it was sold or scrapped.
 #1134929  by Cactus Jack

I am pretty sure #130 was recently scrapped.
#127 was around but that too I think was scrapped somewhat recently
#111 was in Domino TX stored oos at the paper mill and I don't know if it still exists, it would appear from looking at google earth that it is gone.
#104 is in Georgia, not sure the status
#105 went from Utica to New Jersey a few years ago and may still be there somewhere. One of the two engines was inoperable while it was on Adirondack Scenic.

Trackage still exists in Utica area from the Westshore - O&W diamond to New Hartford on the Industrial Track with a small tail left pointing towards Clinton but as far as I know out of service except for some brief MOW eqpt storage activity due to the closure of Jefferson Smurfit. The Fay Street Industrial track was pulled this past fall but had been oos for about 15 years or more depending on who you talk to. Trackage in Rome is gone and there may be a short section of the DL&W - O&W interchange track left in place in Norwich but inaccessable due to the NYSW main being out of service.
 #1134940  by umtrr-author

The last information I saw on the 105 had it at the Southern Railroad of New Jersey, where it had been repainted into [EDIT/CORRECTION] the O&W yellow and gray.

http://nyow.org/nyow_105.html has a bit of information.

I drove this loco when it was in Lake Placid!
 #1140298  by lvrr325

RussNelson wrote:The Canal Street tracks in Rome are all still there, but the switch to the main has been pulled. The only customer is the steelyard. On the other hand, the switch could be put back in in about two days and then the track would be active again.
I was about to say the same thing. Track is still there.

The original line through Fulton still exists past the Nestle plant and up to one more customer but is OOS, the rest is long gone. I can't remember now without looking if the bypass was built by the O&W, but north of Fulton it rejoins the original route and runs up to the port. A small bit of former NYC is attached there.

You'll find short pieces of disconnected track at Central Square and Munnsville as well, relaid by subsequent owners of the ROW.

One of the better rumors I've heard recently was a plan to re-install the O&W from Central Square to Fulton. It's almost do-able, except right at where the diamond was there are a couple of houses close on the ROW that might be trouble. I figure it's a pipe dream, it would cost millions even if it was done with volunteer labor and donated materials.