Railroad Forums 

• What is the history of the former warehouse/loading docks

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#313998  by railwatcher

I was looking at an old picture of the Avon yards and am curious as to the history and what happened to the warehouse and loading dock that was east of the tracks (track 3) in Avon. What was the business, what caused its closure or removal? Who owns the docks that sit there unused to this day? I noticed in the same picture that tracks were on both sides of the Avon Station, as well as a spur siding beyond that point. I see the tracks are still present next to the building and are buried as they head north past the west side of the building, is this considered ROW as part of ROW?

Greg

#314100  by Luther Brefo

If you are referring to the images here:

http://www.lalrailfan.net/gallery/thumb ... p?album=37

then I will tell you now that the one building that was there to the east of the tracks was once Purina Chow.

The depot used to take freight on its west side as well. That trackage is disconnected but some of the rail is still in place.

The train-order signal is no longer there but the mast certainly lived through the years.

The platform itself was once for loading and/or flat cars, hile Purina had some service doors alongside it's building. The track that actually ran there has been removed as well.

Please do correct me if I wrong as I am very much interested in knowing the full history of the location.

#314134  by railwatcher

That's a good start Luther, Your picture is the one i was looking at...Purina building looked to be in rough shape. Anyone know when it was removed, and who the owner is now and was then? The Cement Dock is still there. I have taken a lot of pictures parked from that vantage point.