Railroad Forums 

• What is the earliest New Haven passenger car still existing?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1032110  by chnhrr

I recently came across a color photo (late 1940’s) showing a snippet of New Haven arched window passenger car painted MOW orange. I thought it might have been a NYW&B Stillwell coach, but upon further review I have concluded it was most likely work car W-150 which was originally Pullman Car 400 (built 1881). This brought to mind a question, what is the earliest example of a New Haven passenger car that is still in existence?
-
Speaking of early New Haven cars with arched windows, I was wondering what has happened to car 2312 (built 1904). The book NH Power states that after serving as a work car it was sent to the Valley Railroad in Essex. Is it still there and has it been restored? I include a picture of similar car 2311 from the book (Photo G. Votava) as reference.
Last edited by chnhrr on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1032163  by H.F.Malone

1896 wood baggage car 3884 at RMNE, 1904 "Springfield" #2313 diner at RMNE, 1903 wood baggage car 3844 at RMNE. "Fox Point" was built in 1916, and RMNE's "Philinda", a Pullman parlor converted by NH to coach 610, was built in 1914. "Fox Point" is the youngster of all these!
 #1032874  by chnhrr

Thanks all. The Railroad Museum of New England seems to have a few coaches and according to the museum’s website car 2312 has been mothballed for now. Does anyone have a recent photo of 2312 that they could post? I’ve noticed that cars of this period had vestibule end windows which I assume were for natural lighting and ventilation. I include the photo of work car W-150? that started this topic. Unfortunately the snout of the DL-109 obscures most of the view.
That B&PR car in St. Louis Museum of Transportation is amazing. That has to be one of the earliest American rail cars. The B&O museum in Baltimore has some fine replicas.
 #1034821  by Ridgefielder

Pat Fahey wrote:HI

The coach that was in Grafton, Mass on the Grafton & Upton RR is now located in Palmer, Mass at the Steaming Tender Restaurant , it was moved there in 2007 . Pat
So, what's the history of this car? Was it originally built as something other than a daycoach, or have a few windows been blanked up over the years for one reason or another?

Odd-looking ends: it's as if its halfway between open-platform and vestibule.
 #1034932  by RonM

Connecticut Trolley Musuem, Warehouse Point has Combine 2633. blt 1908. It has served as Gift Shop, Deli, and is now the birthday party car. It needs roof work.

Also of interest is 940 a 60' open platform coach built by Bradley in 1898. It served on the Philadelphia and Reading and Belfast and Moosehead Lake. Source: NHRS Bulletin Vol 37 No 5 1972