Railroad Forums 

• What is the building?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#743095  by gprimr1

I was looking at a map of the Pope's creek sub, and it looks like there is a large parking lot (with two handicap spaces) on railroad ave across from the wye.

It looks like a good place to watch trains. Anyone know what it is?
 #743109  by Aa3rt

Greg, This area in Bowie was the site of the MARC platforms (I'd use the term "station" very loosely.) before the new expanded MARC stop at Bowie State was completed. I think the building is a bar or restaurant, I haven't been there since June and really didn't pay attention at that time.

On the south side of the tracks is the Huntington Railroad Museum which incorporates the old Bowie tower. You can get a small view of the area on the north side of the tracks in a photograph at this site. See:

http://mysite.verizon.net/n3szw/rrmuseum/rr.html

Yes it is a good spot for train watching. In fact, later today (Sunday, Nov. 29th) the museum is supposed to be open from 1 to 4PM, this for fans to watch the annual post-Thanksgiving parade of trains. Should be a good day for it with temps predicted for the low 60's and partly sunny skies.

UPDATE: The Prince George's County website shows the museum being open from 10AM-4PM on Sundays, don't know how late in the year this applies or if it's all year round. Possibly it was the fact that Santa Claus is supposed to be at the museum from 1-4PM Sunday. I can't recall where I read this, possibly in a now deleted email. Here's the link to the City of Bowie Museums webpage:

http://www.cityofbowie.org/LeisureActiv ... Museum.asp
Last edited by Aa3rt on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #743334  by gprimr1

Think I'll head down there Sunday.