Railroad Forums 

• What is the best software for a newbie?

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#172634  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

I am planning on buying a $150.00 dollar table top train simulator controls soon and would appreciate any advise on what the best software is to learn how to run engines.

If there is anybody with real engine experience----how do the simulators compare with the real thing?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nashvillie Newbie

#173385  by Lirr168

Newbie,

I highly recommend Microsoft Train Simulator, a.k.a. MSTS. MSTS is compatible with the controls (it is Raildriver, i assume). Additionally, most MSTS models have photoreal cabs, something lacking from the other train sims out there. I do not personal experience behind the controls of a locomotive, but I have been up close and personal with several types of engines and MSTS has done a good job recreating them, right down to the acceleration, braking, and wheel slip physics. And, beyond that, there is a plethora of unofficial add-ons available at train-sim.com; there is some great stuff!
 #173989  by RussM

Nashville,
If you get that RailDriver Controller, let us know how it works out. Operating the controls with the keyboard and mouse is awkward. I recently got MS Train Simulator myself, and am still learning how to use it. I especially like the BNSF Marias Pass route, as I just traveled that route last month on the Amtrak Empire Builder.

#175757  by pgengler

I second or third Microsoft Train Simulator; I've heard you can buy it for around $15 now, since Atari or someone has taken up distribution for it.

The virtual physics vs. real phyics depends a lot on the particular engines and cars you use; some models have really good physics, others not so much. This mostly comes into play with add-on stuff, but there is at least one effort out there to make the physics for the default models more realistic. I can't say how any of them compare to the real thing, though.

#185350  by NJTee

I have a few of the add ons. I can't remember what it's called off hand, but it has plenty of american diesels. Sd45, F7A etc. Very realistic sounds, and action. I think train sim lacks something though. the graphics aren't the greatest, and once I travelled all of the route mileage, there's really nothing else to do. Sure I can try different weather situations, but thats nothing. I wish train sim 2 was coming out, but from what I understand Microsoft Nixed it.
I remember hearing of another piece of software that had local trackage. For me it would be the ex Lackawanna, or Erie in North Jersey. Anybody know what I'm talking about because I don't.

#185354  by pgengler

NJTee wrote:I remember hearing of another piece of software that had local trackage. For me it would be the ex Lackawanna, or Erie in North Jersey. Anybody know what I'm talking about because I don't.
There's a user-created route that has a lot of northeastern NJ trackage from times gone by. It's called the Newark & New Jersey; it's in the file library over at train-sim.com.

As for a TS2, I've heard that a different company bought the source code for MSTS and is working on improving it for a "version 2" release