Railroad Forums 

• What is the best AMT (Montreal) line to ride?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#476356  by NJTKid01

Hey folks-- I wanted to know what line on the AMT is the best to ride? I only have about two days in Montreal and would like to sample the system? Also, can I get some tips on riding the system? I heard that they run the system like a Proof-of-Payment system. Does this mean that they don't have conductors aboard trains or something?
 #477785  by TrainDuNord

NJTKid01 wrote:Hey folks-- I wanted to know what line on the AMT is the best to ride? I only have about two days in Montreal and would like to sample the system? Also, can I get some tips on riding the system? I heard that they run the system like a Proof-of-Payment system. Does this mean that they don't have conductors aboard trains or something?
The easiest one is the Two-Mountains line, leaving downtown every hour from Central Station (more often during rush hours). It first goes through the Mount-Royal tunnel (built 1913-1918). You can stop at the second station after the tunnel (Mount-Royal, an 8 minutes ride), take a cappucino at the nice old station (now a restaurant) and take the next train back. That line (formerly CN) was entirely rebuilt in 1995 and uses Bombardier single-level EMUs.

The other possibility is to take any train leaving Lucien-Lallier station (next to the beautiful old Windsor station and Bell stadium). It uses the old CPR tracks. Stop at Montreal-West (nice station and old switch tower nearby, a 12 minutes ride) and you can watch the rail traffic going toward the city from the West and back at rush hours. The rolling stock is diverse: Bombardier bilevels, old aluminium coaches and, if you are lucky to be there at the right time, the is one train from and to Blainville/St.Jerome that uses old Budd-like bilevels from the early 70s. Most locos are F59PHI, with two old GP9s for the Candiac/St.Constant line.

There is one conductor on every train, but he doesn't check tickets. There are occasional security guards who will check everybody's tickets, but you usually get checked no more than once a week. It's a $200-$500 fine if you are cought without a valid ticket or pass, and you cannot plea ignorance!