Railroad Forums 

• What is required for a job as an MBTA Subway Operator (Motorman)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1592458  by SgtBreadSt1ck

I am a Sophomore living in New York City and I wanted to operate trains here, but it seems like this city is becoming more dangerous, so my next best option is Boston. What are the requirements? Is there something that I should know beforehand? Is it a good work environment? I just need general advice and information. Thank you in advance.
 #1592749  by Rbts Stn

I was not aware that NYC was becoming so much more dangerous that people were leaving for other major cities.

"Sophomore" is kind of vague, not sure what that has to do with your goal. Do you have any train experience?
Last edited by CRail on Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1592751  by Disney Guy

First step is a lottery which has been held at irregular intervals approximating every two years and applicants' names put on a list. There have been separate lotteries for bus operator, motorperson, customer service (on the ground) rep, and a few other position. The lotteries have been known to go into over 20,000 names.

The T then draws names a few at a time from the lottery in order as needed and as months go by. If someone has taken a different job somewhere else then his/her name is passed over. I think the motorperson lotteries (rapid transit and light rail) took about 5,000 names each before the lists were discarded and new lotteries held.

Then there are background checks, health exams, classroom training, on the road training, etc. A person might be disqualified at any stage along the way, if not then s/he is offered the job. Shifts and routes are picked by seniority 4 times a year. It is common for new hires to work split shifts i.e. morning rush and afternoon rush.

Have you taken the training program at a trolley museum and driven cars there? (Not just a one hour session.) This will give you an abbreviated idea of what the training would be like for the T or other city transit system.

Unfortunately disputes can get political. There have been a few instances where one of two or one of three persons had to be found at fault for an accident or a mishap and the final decision appeared to involve personal favoritism.
 #1592756  by typesix

In the past several months, the MBTA has periodically been advertising for bus operators and part time streetcar operators, but without going through a lottery. I know someone that just finished streetcar training for 2 months(subway training is similar) involving training on the vehicles, routes, rules and regs, how to deal with the public, ADA training, etc. That person is now operating part time and on probation for 6 months before coming a permanent employee. The MBTA.com website will have job postings and requirements.
 #1592783  by CRail

Motorman or bus operator are both entry level positions available to anyone. No "train experience" (whatever that is) or specific skills are available nor necessary. The lottery system no longer exists. Check the MBTA website for job postings and apply to them just like you would any other position anywhere else. An interest in trains is not important to the T and is NOT beneficial. Do not mention it in an interview.
 #1592798  by mbrproductions

Is the way the MBTA hires motormen in anyway similar to how Keolis hires Locomotive Engineers? Or is the difference night and day? I ask this because that's a job I have been thinking about recently
 #1593043  by sourcefive

mbrproductions wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:51 am Is the way the MBTA hires motormen in anyway similar to how Keolis hires Locomotive Engineers? Or is the difference night and day? I ask this because that's a job I have been thinking about recently
The processes are quite different. Keolis does not hire locomotive engineers off the street since it's not considered an entry-level position like motorperson is. One becomes an engineer with them by being hired by first as an assistant conductor, then promoted to conductor, and finally promoted up to locomotive engineer.
 #1593131  by mbrproductions

I see, so if there were to be an entry for Locomotive Engineers on the Keolis website, would it be intended for guys who had previously worked as locomotive engineers for other Railroads?
 #1593219  by 8th Notch

mbrproductions wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:40 am So I'm guessing that it would be preferable to go to Amtrak or one of the Freight Railroads first?
Get in where you can, don’t expect to be hired off the street with 0 experience as an engineer with any railroad (although not impossible). There are usually plenty of applicants within the transportation department or company in general that will get the nod over anyone outside with no prior railroad experience.
 #1593250  by MBTA3247

You might try volunteering as train crew at a railroad museum/tourist railroad. I believe some of them have to use FRA-licensed engineers, so that would be a way to get training and experience.
 #1593263  by mbrproductions

So something like Conway Scenic or Winnipesaukee? That sounds about right, I had previously read somewhere on this site that Amtrak was hiring Engineers off the street, but I guess it wasn't true (it didn't sound very realistic to me either).
I would like to thank you and all others who answered my questions in this thread!