Railroad Forums 

• What is left of and on the BC Rail?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#817806  by train2

I visited BC Rail in the 90s. Now I may make return trip to western Canada latter in the year. I will concentrate on CN/CP but, I was wondering what the status of BC Rail was these days?

I think I remember reading the main amount of traffic was diverted onto the CN at Pringe George to head east instead of south to North Vancover. What is the status of the BC Rail north of PG? Still somewhat similar to before? Traffic still run on all the subdivisions? Including Tumbler (now diesel) and Ft. Nelson or have those last two operations ended?

Would I expect to find mostly CN power now or has the BC power, esp. the 4 axles, remained in any pockets on the BC Rail? Has any power been repainted?

What is the traffic level like south of PG on the old BC main to Van?

T2
 #818776  by CN Sparky

All of the BC Rail locomotives and cars were absorbed into the CN equipment roster. Most of the old BCOL locos (The Cat's, the SD40-2's, all the Alco, yards, etc) have been retired, all that's left is the 3900's and 4600's (Dash 8 draper tapers that were converted to Dash 9's, and the later Dash 9's). A couple are sporting CN colours now. Most run the length of the system... not just here in BC. I believe the 3900's have been stored.. why, no idea.

Can't really comment to the transportation side...
 #830064  by ENR3870

train2 wrote:
What is the traffic level like south of PG on the old BC main to Van?

T2
Between Prince George and Lillooet, about 2-4 trains a day. Between North Vancouver and Lillooet we run about 7 a day and all but 2 run at night.