Railroad Forums 

• What is GEFX?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#304535  by steamal

I've seen olive-drab locomotives ---what one could call "naked horses"--- bearing the reporting marks "GEFX". Is "GEFX" just a line I'm not familiar with, or are these locomotives that Norfolk Southern bought from GE and just hasn't painted yet?

#304706  by JoeG

I couldn't find GEFX in any of the lists of reporting marks I looked at. Now I'm curious!

#304727  by Steve F45

would it be GE leasing?

#304798  by CN_Hogger

All I can think of is GE Financial Leasing? I couldn't find it on the couple reporting marks databases either.

#304808  by GOLDEN-ARM

I have heard of CEFX......................... :wink:
 #306060  by steamal

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I have heard of CEFX......................... :wink:
Well, it could be CEFX. After all, although that's a NS crossing near where I work, BNSF trains also run in the Birmingham area and have probably gone over those tracks. However, I seem to remember seeing GEFX stenciled on those locomotives.
 #306137  by jkrail

steamal wrote:
GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I have heard of CEFX......................... :wink:
Well, it could be CEFX. After all, although that's a NS crossing near where I work, BNSF trains also run in the Birmingham area and have probably gone over those tracks. However, I seem to remember seeing GEFX stenciled on those locomotives.
The X used as a last letter on a reporting mark tells me that the unit is not owned by a railroad but by a company. Possably a leasing company.
If the unit is labled "CEFX" than it is owned by Transportation Corp. of America.

#306138  by pablo

I've seen GEFX power too, on leasers occasionally. I assumed it was an arm of GE Financial, but I've seen this mark on EMD's, too. That threw me.

I wonder if it is something that GE does to place on trade-ins that they get for new GE power.

I do remember seeing an article once that explained how leasing locos was another way that GE made money, but perhaps someone else with some caffeine in them this AM has a better memory.

Dave Becker

#306145  by jkrail

pablo wrote:I've seen GEFX power too, on leasers occasionally. I assumed it was an arm of GE Financial, but I've seen this mark on EMD's, too. That threw me.

I wonder if it is something that GE does to place on trade-ins that they get for new GE power.

I do remember seeing an article once that explained how leasing locos was another way that GE made money, but perhaps someone else with some caffeine in them this AM has a better memory.

Dave Becker
Hi Dave:
I have Googled GEFX and checked four lists of AAR reporting marks and I did not see any referance to it. So, either it is a brand new mark, or the poster is mistaken. I am not sure....
Jerry

#306186  by CN_Hogger

pablo wrote:I've seen GEFX power too, on leasers occasionally. I assumed it was an arm of GE Financial, but I've seen this mark on EMD's, too. That threw me.
Kind of like all the IC GP38-2's with the GE emmisions stickers on them? :P

#306196  by pablo

Well, I just did some googling myself and found GCFX, but no GEFX. It's likely, then, that I messed up. Maybe it was CEFX I saw. I know I've seen some bizarre marks roll by me...

Dave Becker

#306244  by Lirr168

I did a quick search on railpictures.net and found one hit for GEFX; it was listed a GCFX locomotive, but had the road number GEFX 6060. It is likely just a typo, but it does raise an interesting question: is it possible someone stenciled the wrong letters on this one loco and this is one you all are seeing? Far-fetched, I know, but stanger things have happened in the railroad business, like Amtrak trains being on-time :P (sorry, couldn't resist).

-Kyle
 #306256  by steamal

This particular "GEFX" locomotive ran through Trussville, Alabama, which is a suburb of Birmingham. I don't know how widely locomotives typically range in their useful lives, although I would imagine that one that is used by NS, CSX, BNSF or some other Class I would see quite a bit of territory before it is retired.
I've seen references to GEFX locomotives on the 'Net ---including at TRAINS.com--- so I'm fairly certain that I didn't misread what I thought I saw. Still, I wonder............

#310990  by UPRR engineer

Train details MRVNP 25 Engines UP 005789 | UP 009858 | NS 008958 | CSXT009007
Engines GECX008649
Scheduled Scheduled departure | GRERIVER, WY | WX817 | 10/27/06 22:22M | 056 loads | 065 empty | 08286 tons | 07308 feet
Last Passing train | THISBE, NV | RV165 | 10/26/06 11:36P | 056 loads | 065 empty | 08286 tons | 07308 feet
-------------------------------
Train details MSCNP 27 Engines UP 004780 | CEFX002784 | CSXT008589
Scheduled Scheduled departure | GRERIVER, WY | WX817 | 10/27/06 20:30M | 031 loads | 025 empty | 04835 tons | 04118 feet
Last Scheduled departure | SALLAKCIT, UT | UZ029 | 10/27/06 09:00M | 031 loads | 025 empty | 04835 tons | 04118 feet
Special NO TCS EVENTS REPORTED