Railroad Forums 

• What is Conrails official name post '98

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1055480  by CR-Detroit

I see a few variations on Conrail's official name.

The website Conrail.com lists:
Consolidated Rail Corporation

however Wikipedia (I know not always reliable)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrail_Sh ... Operations

Conrail Shared Assets Operations.

The latter makes sense as '98 was when the breakup took big Conrail and created the shared asset company it is today. Any ideas?
 #1055495  by charlie6017

Shared Assets is basically as switching/terminal operation in the areas specified in the
Wikipedia article. I would say Conrail Shared Assets is more appropriate, in my opinion.

I'm sure others will chime in as I am not an expert on CSAO and don't live near any of the
"Shared Assets" operations.

Charlie
 #1055498  by scottychaos

Conrail's offical name has *always* been "Consolidated Rail Corporation" and "Conrail".
both names were always "official"..and still are.
Much like "International Business Machines" is also "IBM".
and "Ford Motor Company" is also "Ford"..
"American Locomotive Company" was also "Alco"..
there are a million examples..

I believe that Conrail still exists, and is still called Conrail, and Consolidated Rail Corporation.
Its name did not change after '98 and '99.

question: What is Conrails official name post '98?
answer: Conrail

"Conrail Shared Assets" is a switching service that is offered by Conrail.
I believe that the company is still Conrail, and Conrail Shared Assets is something that Conrail does.
Conrail's own webpage, still active, would seem to support that..

Scot
 #1055500  by CR-Detroit

scottychaos wrote:Conrail's offical name has *always* been "Consolidated Rail Corporation" and "Conrail".

I believe that Conrail still exists, and is still called Conrail, and Consolidated Rail Corporation.

I believe that the company is still Conrail, and Conrail Shared Assets is something that Conrail does.

Scot
Ah, and and you are correct. We/it still exist.
 #1055655  by Ken W2KB

scottychaos wrote:Conrail's offical name has *always* been "Consolidated Rail Corporation" and "Conrail".

Scot
"Official" term is only "Consolidated Rail Corporation." That is how it would be named in litigation, securities, contracts, etc. "Conrail" is a trademark owned by Consolidated Rail Corporation. Trademarks are property, a means of branding and identification for marketing purposes. "IBM" is a trademark (as are hundreds of other trademarks that the company officially called "IBM Corporation" owns).