Railroad Forums 

• What is Conrail Shared Assets?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#493222  by rswinnerton

Conrail is still alive as Conrail Shared Assets. It's a jointly controlled entity of CSX and NS. They operate in northern NJ and Detroit areas. When NS and CSX took over Conrail, they couldn't agree on who got these high volume / traffic areas, so to get the deal done, they allowed "CSA" to operate to serve both railroads equally.
Russ
 #573474  by fw2008

Hi;
Can anyone tell me what lines are Conrail Shared Assets?
I live in New Jersey, so I'm most interested in lines in this state.
I am aware that the old P&H line running alongside the PATH tracks is a CR asset, but I'm not sure about other lines, like the National Docs secondary.
Also, if you can tell me what radio frequencies CR uses on these lines in NJ, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks

FW
 #573548  by runnerup

This site has a few maps that show the proposed breakup of the Conrail lines: http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/rail/Conrail/ . Warning: some of these images are large (up to 600kb).

System-wide map: http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/rail/Conra ... ain_lg.gif

Philadelphia inset: http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/rail/Conra ... cr_phi.gif

Northern NJ inset: http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/rail/Conra ... cr_nyc.gif

As far as I know, this is generally how the lines were provisioned. Perhaps someone else can describe corrections / updates / details.
 #573903  by Chessie GM50

fw2008 wrote:Hi;
Can anyone tell me what lines are Conrail Shared Assets?
I live in New Jersey, so I'm most interested in lines in this state.
I am aware that the old P&H line running alongside the PATH tracks is a CR asset, but I'm not sure about other lines, like the National Docs secondary.
Also, if you can tell me what radio frequencies CR uses on these lines in NJ, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks

FW
Well, in the late 1990's conrail was divided 52%-NS as the PRR, and 48%-CSX as the NYC.
 #574062  by runnerup

Chessie GM50 wrote:Well, in the late 1990's conrail was divided 52%-NS as the PRR, and 48%-CSX as the NYC.
The split is 58% NS and 42% CSX.
 #730544  by airman00

excuse me for opening an old thread, but if conrail is now CSA, why are csx and ns so wanting to paint over the few remaining conrail engines to there colors? I understand your property, your business and all that. I also get the fact that those companies want people to know whose in charge and all that.

But shouldn't there be a few engines mandated to stay in conrail colors as long as conrail still technically operated, (even though it's conrail shared assets), not just the few engines they haven't gotten around to painting over yet?

I mean as long as conrail still technically exsists why aren't there engines just becoming like...csa engines?
 #730718  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

It's a tangled arrangement,but according to what I could find, the STB allowed NS to fully absorb Conrail in 2004. I recently had CR send my personell files and the women I talked with said they were a "terminal and switching company." so yes, you should see fresh CR units, not the beat up crap that is running around. Then again, what does NS or CSX care. IMHO
 #732159  by spatcher

airman00 wrote:excuse me for opening an old thread, but if conrail is now CSA, why are csx and ns so wanting to paint over the few remaining conrail engines to there colors? I understand your property, your business and all that. I also get the fact that those companies want people to know whose in charge and all that.

But shouldn't there be a few engines mandated to stay in conrail colors as long as conrail still technically operated, (even though it's conrail shared assets), not just the few engines they haven't gotten around to painting over yet?

I mean as long as conrail still technically exsists why aren't there engines just becoming like...csa engines?
Why? The shared assists owns no locomotive. All locos used by SAC are leased from either the NS or CSX.
 #732544  by airman00

spatcher wrote:
airman00 wrote:excuse me for opening an old thread, but if conrail is now CSA, why are csx and ns so wanting to paint over the few remaining conrail engines to there colors? I understand your property, your business and all that. I also get the fact that those companies want people to know whose in charge and all that.

Why? The shared assists owns no locomotive. All locos used by SAC are leased from either the NS or CSX.
Yes, but those engines are running on csa trackage, and a previous post mentioned they (conrail) are a terminal and switching company, I don't know what that means, maybe someone can elaborate, but since they technically still exsist, there should at least be a handful of "csa only" engines.
 #732868  by 262

The two major concerns of the states,shippers and federal regulators to the division of Conrail between CSX and NS,were that it would stifle competition.And that one or both of the buyers would be unable to run the larger plant and service would be interupted, slowed or stopped.The plan for the first problem was the creation of Conrail Shared Assetts.So that some of the larger markets that had competing railroads before the merger would still have at least two railroads in their market area.The other problem was addressed by dividing Conrails route miles in such a way that if one or both railroads could not opperate the new system the deal could be canceled and the trackage that either railroad recieved could in theory be opperated as a stand alone railroad.Both regulations have now been canceled and either CSX or NS could buy out the other party ,or some other interest could purchase CSA.