Railroad Forums 

• What if NY&A had....

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #659833  by Mr GP10

LOL the GP-35-Rs do not have dynamic brakes Scrap mentioned about power with dynamic brakes. Please fellas I ask lets not bother scrap em again he was kind enough to tell us that something is brewing lets just wait and see. Thanks.
 #659857  by deandremouse

MP15ACs won't be replaced for another 6 years. THATS what I meant. AND the people in the know that I know Told me That BL20GHs will come when the M9s come. And when I said it will piss us off, I meant it would be boring to see the same engines over and ov...... Wait could we lease I dunno six-axle power?
 #659878  by tushykushy

I guess you missed the sarcasm in my rumor rant.

The BL20's aren't even used that frequent in worktrain service yet for MNR. As of right now they're on the shuttles up the branches pulling no more than 3 coaches. They still use the GP35's for worktrain service as well as for the AMMO/PMMO, with the occasional appearance of their GP7/9. I don't see how the BL20 design would be more benefical than what the 1500's are now. With the throttle in the 1-4 notch, it only uses half of it's cylinders. It is also a slow loader and I don't see how that design would be good for switching.
 #659899  by freightguy

Sorry Scrap, my inside info source is usually too disgruntled to talk about new engines, etc. The first ten years went by quick, are you number one on the roster yet?
 #660024  by Mr GP10

6 axle power? Im not sure. I would guess? That would be nice to see......
 #663004  by District D RTC

I don't mean to rain on everyone pipe dream parade here, but since its raining out.....

I don't see the NYA getting any "NEW" power.

The economy is down, and traffic (car loadings) on the NYA are WAY down. Even CSX in Oak Point is down something like 23% over 2007.

IF and thats a big IF they get anything 'new to the NYA' I seriously doubt it would be 'new'.

Could they benefit from the transfer of something rendered surplus by all the newer units going online on PHL, sure - but for now - there's not much to speak of that can be substantiated beyond a bunch of buff's dreaming big. I don't see them even considering 6-axles as the LIRR isn't likely to allow such, and I seriously doubt they'd delve into the 6-axle genre just for a yard bird.

If you are bored with NYARs fleet which only consists of 4 locomotive types (GP38, MP15, SW1001, SW1200) I strongly suggest you begin to take note of the partners with whom they interchange at Fresh Pond:
  • CP =
    • Pairs of SD40-2s (only 6 left capable of coming down here: 5671, 5672, 5677, 5690, 5697, 5698)
  • CSXT =
    • SD40-2s (8831-8866 not all qualified for NYD)
    • GP40-2s (6200s select units, these were common a few years ago, but now are mostly assigned to New England and only appear down here on occasion). Some derated and reclassed GP38-2S's (eg 6238).
    • GP38-2s (2700s and 2800s
  • P&W =
    • B39-8Es (3901-3909)
    • B40-8s (4001-4004)
    • B30-7As (3004-3008) CABLESS BOOSTERS!!!!
NOTE:
CSX will very soon be getting additional 'different' engines down here........ SD60Ms for the road trains and GenSets for the Yard. Either one may make it over to POND, but likely the road engines account the six axles needed to climb over hell gate. But all of the info on the CSX power is a different post for another day.............

--JSW
 #664975  by b&p rupture

District D RTC wrote:
  • CP =
    • Pairs of SD40-2s (only 6 left capable of coming down here: 5671, 5672, 5677, 5690, 5697, 5698)
What makes them capable of coming down here, or what makes any of the others not capable of coming down here?
 #665094  by Chicagorail1

I would assume Cab Signals, since I work for the CP and never seen any unit with equipped with cab signals. I can't see Metro North allowing non cab signal equiped leaders along the Hudson. Since I never seen a cab signaled unit on the CP, I also would believe operating practices keeps these units in captive service.
 #665399  by mainline

District D RTC is right look at the economy. Car loadings way down. I don't get to the see the west end lately but the RS60 looks like it's just working the back track at Pine Aire. Paraco had a good contract for propane over the winter forcing the 60 to go east to Riverhead most days. Scrap might be eluding to maybe a new customer coming online requiring the new power. Don't think stone train since all of us has seen the crews lash up all the power to run to Prima. Greg he'll have to take out a hit to become #1. The 156 ASC was one of 8 units ordered from GE . Supposedly newer technology. Hopefully there all installed now.