• What can I expect to see in Peoria?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by dhaugh

I'm heading to Peoria soon, and wouldn't mind knowing how many trains go through there. I realize there's probably not a major line going through, but maps sure show a lot of lines coming in. Thanks! Dave

by AmtrakFan

Dave,
I was there breifly during Spring Break and all the RR's their is are Iowa Interstate, TPW, UP and maybe NS and if you have a car I would drive up to Glasburg they have BNSF and a little UP mostly on Weekends just go up I-74.

AmtrakFan

by bn13814

Metro Peoria (incl. East Peoria and Pekin) is served by nine common carrier railroads - BNSF, CN, IMRR, IAIS, NS, PPU, PRY, TPW and UP.

You can see P&PU switch engines working Pekin and the south end of Peoria during the morning and early afternoon while ADM and the IAIS interchange in North Peoria get serviced about two or three times per day combined. AM and PM yard engines work P&PU's East Peoria Yard.

TP&W's Galesburg Job heads west after 0500 hours Mo-We-Fr returning from early to late afternoon or even into the evening hours depending on the amount of time spent waiting at the BNSF yard in Galesburg. Road trains operating between East Peoria and the Hoosierlift run on an alternate-day schedule during the nighttime hours. Westbounds arrive EP between 0600 and late AM Mo-We-Fr and eastbounds depart EP between 2200 and midnight Mo-We-Fr. Locals are called at East Peoria regularly and run almost daily during the grain rush and at times during the winter months. The TP&W runs a Kolbe Job from EP to Mapleton on Saturday or Sunday returning on Friday. During the week it works only between Mapleton and Collier's Yard at Bartonville. AM and PM switchers work in Morton, East Peoria and Peoria and also the UP and P&PU interchanges.

West End is dormant.

Union Pacific's Peoria Sub sees an average of seven trains per day but this may go up to as many as ten some days. Manifest MCLPE arrives Peoria mornings Su-Tu-Th and counterpart MPECL departs Mo-We-Fr. Daily manifests MPRPB and MASPR ply the line as well. Frequent coal trains can be seen at any time. Loaded trains are for AmerenCILCO's E. D. Edwards Station located south of Bartonville. About two coal trains per day are delivered to IMRR at Crescent (yard adjacent Midwest Generation's Powerton Station). Unit potash, salt and grain trains appear as well, with more grain trains. The local wayfreight, LPD01, goes on duty at 1700 hours Su thru Thc to support MCLPE and MPECL. During mid-December to mid-March feed pellet traffic requires two shifts for wayfreight and six-days-a-week operation each by MCLPE and MPECL.

CN and BNSF exchange frequent grain extras that run between Iowa grain elevators and A. E. Staley Mfg. in Decatur. A weekly coal train is also interchangfe between the two roads on P&PU. A gluten feed pellet train has been running since June from Decatur on the CN to BNSF (via P&PU) at Peoria - destination is Summerfield, Texas. BNSF also runs occasional grain and potash extras. a few coal trains are interchanged to IMRR each week destined for Havana.

CN's Peoria Local runs seven days per week, sometimes handling the frequent grain and coal extras in place of or combined with the regular local and manifest traffic. A weekly coal train is interchanged (via P&PU) to IAIS (for ADM at Cedar Rapids).

IMRR runs coal trains between UP at Crescent, Havana and Kincaid and delivers them to Powerton Station as a switch move for UP. AM and PM Powerton Switchers work local industries. A North Local may appear at any time with chop-nose SD18's #60 and #61 for power.

The PRY (Pioneer Industrial Railway) operates the city-owned Kellar Branch/Peoria, Peoria Heights & Western as needed with the crew working either morning or afternoon depending on what business they have and when. Alco RS-3M #102 has been used for power off and on are two former CN switchers. office is by O'Brien Steel on Caroline and NW Adams Streets.

The IAIS runs its BUSW (BUreau SWitcher) to Peoria as needed usually less than daily but it generally goes on duty about 0600-0700 and reaches Peoria by late AM. May handle coal train from CN.

NOTE: P&PU will disappear as soon as October 31 when Genesee & Wyoming Industries' subsidiary "Tazewell & Peoria Railroad, Inc." assumes operation under a lease agreement with P&PU's owners - CN, NS, PRR and UP.

Hope this helps,

Any more questions, ask.

DPJ

by dhaugh

Thanks - that's more info that I imagined I would get. One more thing - is there a central location where I should try to get to where I can see most of the action.

And, to the first replier - I have been to Galesburg, but I'm more interested in seeing some different industry - notably Caterpillar.

by bn13814

>Thanks - that's more info that I imagined I would get. One more thing - >is there a central location where I should try to get to where I can see >most of the action.

>And, to the first replier - I have been to Galesburg, but I'm more >interested in seeing some different industry - notably Caterpillar.

In the Peoria metro area it is best to have a scanner with P&PU's frequency tuned in or set on scan to include UP and TP&W as well. That way, you may know what is happening and be prepared to cross the river (Cedar Street Bridge is best) on short notice. Good locations are the back parking lot of a strip shopping center on Columbia Street (accessed via W. Washington - it is across the tracks from the police station). For a short distance, it parallels the "Nickel Plate," i. e. the main track that straddles the east side of the P&PU yard. A P&PU switcher may be seen here working the East Peoria Lead in the late morning and sometimes in the afternoon. TP&W trains can be seen during day and night here as well. NS trains unfortunately appear at night.

Another good place is on the south side of Peoria - Sanger, Krause and Darst Street are mainly used to access area businesses and don't have a constant flow of traffic. I've never been bothered here and train crews tend to be friendly. One Sunday evening I saw about eight train movements in two and a half hours! Four railroads operate or own track here - BNSF, P&PU, TP&W and UP. Archer Daniels Midland owns the 3.1 mile River Track that is closer to the riverfront and ADM geeps can be seen venturing across two public grade crossings - Darst and Sanger.

Much local rail operations can be observed from public parking lots and side streets that lack constant traffic. Local industries aren't so accessible, especially Caterpillar's East Peoria buildings (SS and LL use rail service - the latter only on occasion), ADM's plant can be seen from the Cedar Street Bridge or side streets off SW Washington St. Plant guards get suspicious if they see a camera, though (assuming they see you - you are on public property if you stay on the west side of the tracks).

Keystone Steel & Wire can be seen and nobody should bother you. You can even drive between the Wire and Mid Mills! Much of the good stuff, however, is behind the plant, mostly out of close public view.

In Pekin, there is a compact industrial area that includes two ethanol plants, two CO2 gas processors, a river elevator and further SW some IMRR-served customers. Further down the line is IMRR's Crescent Yard and the massive power plant. You can see this from Manito Road off Rt. 29. The south end of the yard can be seen at Wagonseller Road. I've never been bothered here. IMRR crews seem to be friendly.

On a weekend, it is possible to catch TP&W running to Morton via the NS to Crandall Jct then on a remnant of the Santa Fe Pekin Branch to serve a few customers. Also on the TP&W, A switcher is based at Mapleton to work the heavy industry down there.

Hope this helps,

Anymore questions I'll try to answer them.