Railroad Forums 

• What Camera Gear Do You Use?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#546466  by Conrail4evr

Well, this thread surfaces all over the place, but I couldn't find one here, so I'm starting one. What kind of camera and associated gear do you use? Whether it's a $99 "Wal-Mart Special", or $10,000 of professional gear, let's hear it!

My current set-up:
-Canon EOS Rebel XT w/Battery Grip
-Canon 17-40 F/4.0L
-Canon 24-70 F/2.8L
-Canon 70-200 F/4.0L

What I'd *LIKE* to have:
-Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III
-More L Glass (16-35 F/2.8L, 70-200 F/2.8L IS)
-Winning Numbers For Tonight's Lottery
-A Life...
 #546573  by FiatFan

I use a Canon S5 IS. Someday would like to upgrade to a DSLR. My Canon is nice for a point and shoot but would like to have more control over settings.

Tom
 #546791  by railohio

Yet another "my lens is bigger than yours" thread. I find it funny that there are more threads on here showcasing equipment purchases than those discussing how to use it. Enough rambling, on with the list!

Bodies:
Nikon F5
Nikon N80
Nikon FE with MD-12

Lenses:
Nikon 28mm f/2.8D
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
Nikon 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5D
Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI
Nikon 135mm f/2.8 AI
Nikon 200mm f/4 AI
Last edited by railohio on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #546814  by pennsy

Well now, I hope this thread isn't restricted to digital cameras. I haven't made the transition to digital yet, not completely, but I do get a CD rom of the photos with the processing so that I can e mail the photos, or edit them etc. A big advantage, especially when one is using a fine grain film and really good lenses, or as we used to say, really good chunk of glass.

Miranda Sensorex with a 50 mm F 1.8 normal lens; 35 mm F 2.8 wide angle lens; 135 mm F 3.5 telephoto. Addition of a X 2 telextender doubles the focal length of all lenses, at a cost of two F stops. With the speed, ASA or ISO, of today's film, no problems. An old Radio Shack electronic flash is also used when necessary. Add to that locking cable release, tripod, carrying case and you have it. A trick worth passing on: on the camera strap is taped two film cartridge holders. one has a spare roll of film, and the other has a length of string. The string, when attached to the bottom of the camera, and the other end of the string is stepped on to hold the camera taut, provides a monopod for time photography without the tripod, and makes for an easy to carry assembly. Friends with digital cameras have adopted the two film holder technique to carry extra film chips, and to carry the monopod.

Two additional gadgets: an outboard self timer that, in combination with the built in self timer, will give you 30 seconds to get into the photo yourself. An unusual gadget, from Edmonds Scientific, a binoculars to camera adapter. This allows you to photograph through a pair of binoculars, or a telescope. Last time I used it was with a pair of 20 X 50 binoculars. Total focal length for the combination was 1000 mm. A really LONG lens.
Last edited by pennsy on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #546872  by MEC407

Film gear:

Nikon EM SLR
Nikkor 28/2.8 AI-s
Nikkor 50/1.8 AI-s

Pentax P30T SLR
Pentax SMC A 50/1.7

Digital gear:

Pentax K100D SLR
Pentax SMC DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 AL
Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 LD Di

Panasonic FX01 point-and-shoot
(with Leica 28-102 lens)
 #546925  by Conrail4evr

railohio wrote:Yet another "my lens is bigger than yours" thread. I find it funny that there are more threads on here showcasing equipment purchases than those discussing how to use it. Enough rambling, on with the list!
I was just curious to see what everyone else out there shot with (and you didn't hesitate in responding, and have the nicest collection I've seen thus far :wink: ). I'd love to have a collection of prime lenses like you have, but I couldn't afford it on college student income. Speaking of which, dare I ask why you have two 50mm F/1.8 lenses? If experience has taught me anything, I'd have to say "back-up lens" is a key phrase.

EDIT: I did some digging, and discovered that AI lenses are manual Nikkor lenses, with AF (obviously) signifying Auto Focus lenses.
 #546997  by railohio

Conrail4evr wrote:I'd love to have a collection of prime lenses like you have, but I couldn't afford it on college student income.
How old do you think I am? I got the N80 as a high school graduation present and have purchased everything else myself... while in college. I'm willing to spend the money if it makes money and I've easily received as much value from my equipment as I've paid for it.
Speaking of which, dare I ask why you have two 50mm F/1.8 lenses? If experience has taught me anything, I'd have to say "back-up lens" is a key phrase.
The AI lens came with the FE and I never bothered to sell or trade it.
EDIT: I did some digging, and discovered that AI lenses are manual Nikkor lenses, with AF (obviously) signifying Auto Focus lenses.
Correct, but with Nikon every lens will mount on every body so I can mount any lens on any camera that I have.
 #547234  by LNJ614

I have the Canon XTI -17-40L f/4, 70-200Lmm f/4,50mm f1.4. I also have the Nikon D300 with the 70-200 vr f/2.8,18-135mm f3.5. Olympus Cw8080 digicam.
 #547550  by RailBus63

Still all film:

Nikon EM
Nikon Series E 50 mm f1.8 manual focus
Vivitar 80-200 mm f4.5-5.6 zoom

Nikon N6006
Nikkor 35-70 mm f/3.3-4.5 AF

Nikon N90s
Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 AF-D (phenomenal lens for the $100 price tag).
 #548892  by Finch

Fujifilm S5200. It was a great mix of price, performance, and features for a first-time camera buyer. I suspect I will eventually move on to a DSLR, but not yet.
 #553530  by mxdata

A Canon A540 digital for grab shots.

A Pentax LX film camera using A-series lenses for film use day and night.

A Pentax *ist-D digital SLR also using A-series manual focus lenses for digital use day and night.

The *ist-D digital camera uses all the same lenses as the LX although the effective focal length is different on each camera.

This saves carrying two separate sets of lenses for the two cameras.

MX