Railroad Forums 

• What about a KCS-CGW merger?

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#52184  by Engineer Spike

There is no more KCS forum, so I will ask here. I know that the CGW president was related to officials on KCS. Why did they never merge? KCS could have gotten into Minnesota and Chicago, as well as Nebraska.
Last edited by Engineer Spike on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #61982  by AmtrakFan

Engineer Spike wrote:There is no more KCS forum, so I will ask here. I know that the CGW president was related to officials on KCS. Why did they never merge. KCS could have gotten into Minnesota and Chicago, as well as Nebraska.
Yes a KCS offical was the Dad of CGW President in the mid 50's Bill DermiamsIII their was something in Trains about him about a year ago but I forget what Issues It always baffled me why KCS didn't buy them.

AmtrakFan
 #220022  by atlpete

I believe the Trains article you mentioned concerned Deramus moved his railroad's(MKT) headquarters from St.Louis to Denison Tx.
Which leads me to expand on the original question with why didn't the CGW merge with Katy? I'm not sure of the chronology of the reigns of the various Deramus administrations on the three roads, but the obstacles to mergers back then were pretty profound, not in any order- 1) Regulatory- getting through the byzantine process with the ICC 2) Legal Challenge to ICC by competitors, dependent interline connections, creditors, shippers, towns etc. remember the UP/Rock or later day trevails with SF/SP proposal (ouch) 3) Traffic- while it makes sense on the map, any of the three would have lost traffic by turning into competitors against some of their major interline connections. KCS losing portions of Milw, CB&Q, Rock traffic etc. to MP, SLSF and IC. MKT much of the same. Also could Chicago access and longer haul offset that traffic loss, could the CGW lines even support the needed additional volume? 4) Cost- Stockholder's, liquidity, and route/trackage rights concessions to competing roads, etc. One thing for sure though, they'd at least of had similiar operating schemes (the daily big freight) and paint schemes (Deramus Red) and power (predominately F's,GP's and SD's)