Railroad Forums 

• Wharton (CP) Upgrades

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1247533  by nick11a

I noticed there is a new two-target home signal (covered; not yet active) on Track 2 at Wharton facing west. Both westbound signals (on Tracks 1 & 2) also have new side protruding signal heads between the two targets (covered; not yet active) capable of displaying Rule 280a: Clear to the Next Interlocking.

So, as far as I can figure out, this means one of two possibilities is happening:

1) NJT is making both tracks Rule 562/261 (tracks signaled in both directions with no automatic wayside signals; engineers operate on cab signal indication only between interlockings) from Wharton west

2) NJT is installing interlocking switches and upgrading either one or both tracks to 562/261 from Wharton west

Explanatory Notes: Track 2 west of Wharton is Rule 251; signaled in one direction (east) only. At Wharton on Track 2 facing west presently, you have an EAB sign post. Track 1 is Rule 261; signaled in both directions. For years, NJT has kept Track 2 Rule 251 between Morris Interlocking and Wharton so that the switch at Lake Junction could remain not timer locked to allow the M&E and NS Railroads fast access to the Chester and High Bridge Branches. If Track 2 were to be upgraded to 261, an electric timer lock would need to be installed.

My hunch says the first option is happening. Anyone have the scoop?
 #1247574  by Jersey_Mike

Thanks for the explanation of why the section of rule 251 was left in place. I always figured it was some EL era penny pinching measure.
 #1247603  by nick11a

Jersey_Mike wrote:Thanks for the explanation of why the section of rule 251 was left in place. I always figured it was some EL era penny pinching measure.
Yup. NJT traffic west of Dover isn't tremendous like it is east of Dover. Even with Track 2 being Rule 251, they still have enough flexibility. Whenever they need to send a train west on Track 2 (which is, in most cases, a freight train), a Form D can be easily ussued.
 #1248607  by JPG76

Option one is correct. Both tracks will be signaled east and west. Automatic waysides will be removed between Wharton and Morris Jct.
 #1248799  by nick11a

JPG76 wrote:Option one is correct. Both tracks will be signaled east and west. Automatic waysides will be removed between Wharton and Morris Jct.
Thank you. 562 is expanding on the M&E it would seem. My guess is that Morris west to Cook/Hackettstown would be next.
 #1249239  by Jersey_Mike

nick11a wrote: Thank you. 562 is expanding on the M&E it would seem. My guess is that Morris west to Cook/Hackettstown would be next.
I doubt it would be installed outside of a Rule 251 elimination or other re-signaling project. There is not enough benefit to go out and spend millions just to remove the wayside signals.
 #1250278  by nick11a

Jersey_Mike wrote:
nick11a wrote: Thank you. 562 is expanding on the M&E it would seem. My guess is that Morris west to Cook/Hackettstown would be next.
I doubt it would be installed outside of a Rule 251 elimination or other re-signaling project. There is not enough benefit to go out and spend millions just to remove the wayside signals.
In time, I think it will be. In the last 5 years, Rule 562 railroad has grown quite a bit on NJT. Whenever re-signaling or upgrading has occurred, more often than not it has been to Rule 562.
 #1250427  by ApproachMedium

Amtrak is doing it too. HAM to COUNTY on track 4 EASTBOUND is now rule 562, cabs no waysides. WESTBOUND is still Rule 261 since it still has its wayside signals. Why waste the money removing them when you can just do what you need? The signals will be removed when the new catenary bridges get installed and the old ones are removed
 #1250454  by nick11a

ApproachMedium wrote:Amtrak is doing it too. HAM to COUNTY on track 4 EASTBOUND is now rule 562, cabs no waysides. WESTBOUND is still Rule 261 since it still has its wayside signals. Why waste the money removing them when you can just do what you need? The signals will be removed when the new catenary bridges get installed and the old ones are removed
Ah, so they finally have at least one of the outside tracks on the NEC in NJ as 261. Good stuff. Makes sense making it 562... The infrastructure can remain practically the same for the time being.
 #1250472  by ApproachMedium

Oh no i meant 251 sorry. There are places in NJ where there is 261 on the outside tracks. Cliff to Elmora on all 4, Lincoln and Edison on 1 track, Fair and morris (only a wee bit of NJ, but it is 261!)

The idea is to do 562 opposing all of the 251 territory, and as needed/funds gathered they will remove the 251 and call it 562 both directions.

Dock and Cliff track 1 is also going to finally get switched over to 261 soon i heard also. Once that happens Raritan trains can turn on Track A if needed and late night moves can be passed thru there westbound if 2-4 is tied up for track work.
 #1250526  by nick11a

ApproachMedium wrote:Oh no i meant 251 sorry. There are places in NJ where there is 261 on the outside tracks. Cliff to Elmora on all 4, Lincoln and Edison on 1 track, Fair and morris (only a wee bit of NJ, but it is 261!)

The idea is to do 562 opposing all of the 251 territory, and as needed/funds gathered they will remove the 251 and call it 562 both directions.

Dock and Cliff track 1 is also going to finally get switched over to 261 soon i heard also. Once that happens Raritan trains can turn on Track A if needed and late night moves can be passed thru there westbound if 2-4 is tied up for track work.
Interesting. I find it puzzling that they still refer to it as 251 when the track is signaled in both directions, albeit wih one direction having cab signals only outside of hone signals. Transit refers to their 562 tracks as 261/562 if I recall correctly.
 #1250551  by ApproachMedium

Well its 251 in the one direction because it still has the physical automatic block signals. If you have to make a reverse move in that territory, instead of DCS rules applying to the move, 562 rules apply. So you would have to operate according to that set of instructions to make a reverse move.
 #1250675  by nick11a

ApproachMedium wrote:Well its 251 in the one direction because it still has the physical automatic block signals. If you have to make a reverse move in that territory, instead of DCS rules applying to the move, 562 rules apply. So you would have to operate according to that set of instructions to make a reverse move.
So, in other words, that track is both 251 and 562 in that 251 rules apply one direction and 562 rules apply in the other. Interesting...
 #1250905  by nick11a

ApproachMedium wrote:Yes. And im surprised that NJT isnt doing the same thing with their upgrades.
It has been my observation that whenever NJT decides to do something, they go all out and spare little to no expense. Just like John Hammond in Jurassic Park.