Railroad Forums 

• West side of Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1449051  by bukie2k

Anyone else hear anything along the Newark Branch in Nutley earlier this morning?

Could have sworn I heard the horns blowing at the crossings heading westward around 2am.
 #1452510  by chuxter26

They don't run anywhere on NJ Transit at this time so it's doubtful they're looking to keep an engine on the Newark Branch for 1 small customer......
 #1473436  by many19

Guys, I was just at Clara Mass these last couple of days and I notices a block from their main entrance on Mill street someone started demolishing an old RR overpass. The only thing that is left is the concrete piers on both sides.
From the Arial views this little siding use to connect to the Newark Branch at one point or other.
Does anyone know what did it serve.
I can't find any relevant information on old Sandborns or Arial maps.
Thank you
 #1473805  by pumpers

Is this the location on Mill St? I see a pier on one side but not the other. Looks like a new apartment building where the 2nd pier would have been. The remaining pier doesn't look that old - unless it was refinished with concrete within the past 50 years.... Maybe I have the wrong spot - I'm not sure this spot was the Newark Branch - maybe Erie NY & GL.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rvf8doebGzn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The aerial view does seem to show the overpass still in.

I hope the patient gets better soon.

JS
 #1473999  by snavely

It's been a long time since I was there but I think the siding was the one that served the Jergens Cosmetics plant.
 #1474184  by pumpers

By pure chance my wife and I were riding our bikes around Branch Brook park for the first time today (highly recommended), so I stopped by the Mill St. location I posted about a few days ago. If it is the same place many19 was posting about, they are working fast. On the west side of Mill St, where the pier for the siding was a few days ago according to many19, there is nothing but lots of fresh dirt all dug up all over the place. There is are a sign on the corner that environmental remediation is in progress - although the I'm not sure that's exactly what all the digging you see is for. No sign for what is going in there.
Across the street is the new apartment building, and there was no trace at all of any old pier - that must have been gone for a while now.
JS
IMG-3236.JPG
IMG-3236.JPG (297.81 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
IMG-3237.JPG
IMG-3237.JPG (232.14 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
IMG-3237.JPG
IMG-3237.JPG (232.14 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
Attachments:
IMG-3235.JPG
IMG-3235.JPG (265.71 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
 #1474281  by pumpers

Snavely, you are rigtht about Jergens.
From June 2017: https://www.tapinto.net/towns/nutley/ar ... e-mixed-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fair use quote:
BELLEVILLE, NJ - One of the largest unused properties in northeastern Essex County is set to be converted into a multipurpose mixed-use development complex.

At 11 Franklin Avenue in Belleville, at the southwest corner of Mill Street, a nearly 19-acre lot sits vacant. Surrounded by Branch Brook Park, Clara Maass Medical Center, and several single family houses, state records show that the gated property was home to a Roche Diagnostics and Roche Molecular Systems facility beginning in 1975, and has been used for industrial purposes since the 19th century.The Belleville Copper Rolling Mill and a Jergens manufacturing facility were also once located there. In fact, though not operational for many years, a rail spur ran onto the property using a train trestle over Mill Street, though it was demolished in 2016, according to Bridgehunter.
Edit: Here is the 1975 contract of sale for the site from Jergens to Roche. http://www.nj.gov/dep/passaicdocs/docs/ ... nsSite.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
About 1/2 through the document there was some description of the siding, and about 3/4 through is a site picture showing the plant building and a powerhouse over against Mlll st. (burning oil in 1975 but originally coal it says.
 #1475096  by many19

pumpers wrote:Is this the location on Mill St? I see a pier on one side but not the other. Looks like a new apartment building where the 2nd pier would have been. The remaining pier doesn't look that old - unless it was refinished with concrete within the past 50 years.... Maybe I have the wrong spot - I'm not sure this spot was the Newark Branch - maybe Erie NY & GL.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rvf8doebGzn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The aerial view does seem to show the overpass still in.

I hope the patient gets better soon.

JS

That is the Spot Pumpers. I found some old maps showing that siding from the right of way but I just don't know what it used to feed. What was the industry there that the railroad built the piers and the bridge to service them.
I see a lot of people posted other comments. The site and piers are completely gone. Future development going forward.
 #1477054  by pumpers

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:Yes, Jergens on Franklin Ave in Belleville, but I think the Orange Branch served them, I could be wrong though.
It looks like the siding came right off the NY&GL and crossed Mill St to get to Jergens.